New PB...Tore' em up at Alton 7-11-07

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 12, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Man my day started off horribly. Heard a racket pulling my boat this morning, thought it was something else (more later). Launched at Alton, motored down to the confluence and anchored over a submerged dike by myself. BAD MOVE! As soon as I figured out how fast the current was rushing by I didn't like it. Fought anchor for an hour trying to free it without swamping boat, finally lost it all, rope included.:angry:

Trailered boat to go buy a new anchor, heard noise again and stopped to investigate, trailer tire about to fall off new boat trailer, 2 studs broken, only 2 lug nuts left that were almost ready to fall off. Wheel and hub trashed. Sean at Cook's Marine covered the repair that I had done at Clark Boats. COOL! Spent about $130.00 on new anchor, plus rope, plus chain etc..... finally ready to get some fishing in at 1:30 this afternoon. WHEW!

The best day I have ever had fishing! Caught a crapload of fish.

I'll sum this up with a photo of my new PB 40lb Blue, followed by the CPR photo.

Yep, he's swimming in the river, ready to get bigger for the next person to catch.

Attached Files:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Darryl Congrats on the new PB. I will be out there this weekend trying to get my new PB also!

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Beautiful fish, and thanks for the CPR!!! :big_smile:
    What were you using for bait and presentation, if you don't mind me asking?

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oh yeah, almost all fish today were caught on Asian Carp fillets. :tounge_out: Guess they are good for something.

5. elvis64505

elvis64505 New Member

State:
    st joseph
    keep on catten:roll_eyes:

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey congrats on the new PB Darryl. Did your other brother Darryl help or did you get it done by yourself? Sorry to hear about all the problems though. But I guess thats river fishin.

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now THATS how you break in a new boat!!!! You have had that boat, what, a month and now a 40. :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Were not worthy, were not worthy. Great job buddy.

Sorry for your troubles, but doesnt surprise me Sean covered everything. Congrats on the new Personal Best.

8. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good job Darryl, most guys would have given up and gone home after all that.

9. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the new PB..seems like it did not come easy to you that day but it did pay off:big_smile:!

10. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good job Darryl thats a sweet lookin fish I thought it looked a lil bigger than a 40. Sorry to hear about your boat trailer had the same problem one time.

Dustin

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well Dustin, I thought thew fish looked absolutely HUGE also but I'll have to go with my scale. I have a 10lb calibration weight that I used to check it once and it was right on within 1 oz.

40lbs works for me and it was exactly, 40 lb 0 oz.

To BOB............ please let the Bob Newhart show and the "other brother Darryl" joke die a dignified death. LOL (Man I have heard that most of my life):smile2: Just kidding. As far as doing it myself. Nope! After my hairy experience during the morning, I invited a shorebound angler to fish with me in the boat. He seemed like a nice guy and was telling me what he knew about that area when I was trying to re-launch. I remember back when I was bank-bound and always wished one of these guys in their fancy boats would offer up a trip on the river. It worked out for both of us with his best for the day being a 36 pounder.

My wife was concerned that I had let an axe murderer onto my boat but she worries a bit too much heh?:wink:

12. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats really nice of you inviting a shore angler Ive always thought about it but never gave an offer to someone. I bet he would have been happy even if he didnt get that 36 pounder. Was that 36pounder his pb?

Dustin

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No Dustin his PB is 40+

He was polite and didn't catch a bigger fish than the BOAT OWNER. LOL

Also didn't mention the other FREIGHT TRAIN take-down. Had him on for a few seconds and he felt like a PIG. Then spit out the hook????? WTF?:sad2:

Man, I like to never got my rod out of the driftmaster, don't know how he didn't get hooked better????????

14. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Nice fish Darryl,did you put back in at Alton?Did you go back down to the confluence?

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You win some, you lose some. Stinks to miss a good fish, but happens. Sounds like the bigger females are coming off the nest. These next 6 weeks should see some whopper fish posted. Cant wait to get back home. Nice work Darryl, and great fish. Gave ya reps for the release. Outstanding......

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    nice fish darryl, thanks for the cpr maybe i'll catch him this weekend.

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes Ron, I put back in below Mel Price. Did not venture to the confluence again. I was still a little leery of that area.

I need to ease around down there or find out how people fish it.

I know now that anchoring off that submerged dike was foolish. Maybe if I had a partner to handle anchor duty it might have worked out. All the submerged wrecks in that area had me spooked also. I had the boat for it but not the experience in handling the boat.:crazy:

If someone has a grappling hook you can get a real nice anchor complete with a worthless ski-marker (float)(anchor ball) at the end of the rope. The float sucked right under just like I thought it would.:crazy:

Go to the first or second (can't remember) submerged dike on the left just downstream of the confluence and you will find my (or your new) anchor. Theres a 150 ft of rope attached so someone should be able to grab it and the ball will help the grapplin hook stay on.

Hey, if you can't catch an anchor I hear there are some HAWG DADDY catfish in that area. LOL

18. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    thanks for the info Darryl,I have tore up a couple lower units,props,lost anchors and have had someone try to break into our vehicle at Columbia Bottoms so I know how a good day can get reel ugly.But catching a hog makes it all worth it.If you ever go up the Missouri try around the 367 bridge theres a slough right there that is a great spot.:big_smile:

19. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
    Nice fish Darryl and thank you for the CPR! I guess things happen for a reason...Horrible start to the day ending with the PB Blue.

20. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congradulations on your PB! You are setting a nice example for others to follow.