New PB today

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Since I didn't go racing, I decided to hit Milford today. Had to go by myself since my buddy had his girls this weekend and Larry had a birthday party for his grandkids. I put in at Wakefield and headed across the lake to Timber creek to look for some shad. I got a couple 11" shad and decided to drift from Timber creek ramp up to the causeway. Didn't have any luck so I headed over to Pelican point. People have been doing pretty good there lately so I gave it a try. After about an hour I gave up on that spot and headed to my honey hole. I put 2 poles out with shad and one out with nightcralwer. I like doing this if the bite is slow to catch carp or drum while I wait. After about an hour there one pole with shad gets a good hit and I set the hook and reel in a 4lb blue. He didn't get my bait so I rehook it and throw back out. About 15 minutes goes by and I get another good hit. I set the hook and reel in another 4lb blue. Still didn't get the bait off my hook so I throw it back out. This time not 2 minutes pass and the pole doubles over and starts peeling drag. I get the pole out of the holder and I can tell instantly that this is a good fish. When he stops peeling drag, I pull and he doesn't budge. He makes another run and peels off more drag. When he stops I get him coming my way. He gets half way to the boat and decides that is not a good idea and peels more drag. He does this 3 more times before I get him to the boat. Once to the boat he make a couple small runs. I still haven't got a look at him yet to see how big he is. When he turns to dive again I notice the swirl in the water his tail made was a long way from where my line was. This is a nice fish. He finally comes up and it is all I can do to get him in the net. I get him in the boat and put the scale on the dip net. Weighs in at #42. The dip net weighs #2 so he is #40! He had the biggest gut I have ever seen on a fish. A real fatty. The last picture is of the big guy being released to be caught another day.

Attached Files:

• PB1.jpg
      PB1.jpg
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
    • PB2.jpg
      PB2.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
    • PB3.jpg
      PB3.jpg
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Here are the other 2 blues I caught and a picture of a nice day on the water.

Attached Files:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Congrats on a real good catch.Does look like its been chowing down.

4. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Nice one! I was thinking about heading there myself, but the wind is only gonna blow:crazy: 40:crazy:

5. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sounds like you had a really good day,nice looking fish

6. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Congratulations on your new PB..:cool2::cool2:..His gut is almost as big as mine.:crazy::smile2::smile2:

7. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Wow man thats a big fish. Congrats. 2 people caught their PB blue today. You and Shelby.

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    NICE!!! Congrats of the PB! You must've been sweatin' it a little to get him in the boat by yourself...and get good pics. With my luck that cow would've flopped off the seat & back into the lake before I got the camera turned on!:crazy:

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  10. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Jay, congrats on your new PB blue very nice fish man he looks Phat!! Thanks for posting the pics and the story. Sounds like they really wanted that same piece of bait:smile2::wink:

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Congrats on an awesome blue! Now you got me pumped to go fishing!! Glad you released it so it'll be waiting for me! LOL

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Great Cat Jay, somewhat bigger than what you thought he was when you called me:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:. Glad you got him, got to weigh him and released him:0a31: Sure made your trip down worth while.:wink:

I never did get another one other that that 2+ Channel.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Beautifull fish Jay, real pretty color. Congratulations. :big_smile:

14. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    And Jim says there aren't any big blues left in Milford. There is at least
    one left now by my reckoning. I wonder if that is a Kansas Master Angler
    sized blue cat? Is KDWP still doing that on catch and release? You might
    check up on that Jay. Good story, lucky shad, beautiful fish!

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Man Jay that sucks you didnt get a pic holding it. How far away was Jim? Could you have shot over to him real quick and had him snap a pic? Does your camera have a timer on it? A pic of you holding it, would have made a killer avatar. Oh well. Youve got a few good pics and the thrill. Im still happy for you, that is a really good looking blue. Doesnt seem to have any fight wounds or anything.

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    WTG brother on your PB:wink:

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Great job, and the PB!!!

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Wow Jay what a bule cat...Congrats on that fish and your PB blue.

Thanks for the story and the picture, he is a fat one.

And best of all thanks for sharing that honey hole with me:wink:

19. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Definitely got your money's worth out of that piece of shad!LOL. Nice job!

20. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    congrats on your new PB Jay , great pics and story thanks for sharing.