New PB...Stripe is off my back!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by stlcatman, Oct 26, 2007.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well what can I say about Ole Cuz.....He can put you on the fish!!!!!! Talked to Cuz last night and he had some stuff to do around the house and I told him I was headed out. The river is up pretty high and the wing dikes are under water, so he and Mrs. Cuz didnt want me to go it alone so he took me out in his boat and put me on some great fishing. Mrs Cuz even made us some home made chilly, It was so good! Big thanks to Mrs Cuz for the chilly!

Well it took Cuz about 20 minutes to develope a pattern of where the fish were going to hold and oh man did we find some fish. We marked more fish than I have seen all year.

We sut up on the first spot at about dark and we started to pick up a bunch of nibblers. About 20 minutes go by and then it happend my rod tip with the skipjack head gets tugged hard once, then again so i picked it up and i felt the fish again. I was using a circle hook so I started reeling and I felt weight then nothing. I kept reeling and there he was, that big ole smart fish picked it up and ran up stream. He put up a great fight and took a couple of good runs stripping drag and it made it interesting without a net but we boated my new PB blue that came in at 40" long and 40 lbs. What a way to break a skunk streak. After a photo session and some high fives we let her go to get bigger.

We moved around to a few more wing dikes and I picked up a 5 lb channel and had bunch of nibblers. We set up on our third dike and Cuz throws out his first rod and while he was turning to get to his second rod, the first one takes off and the drag is singing. He picked the rod up and he felt a bunch of weight, he says this fish is either hung on something or I have a giant. Well the fish had gotten into a tree, but when it came loose it put up a heck of a fight and I had one hell of a time trying to get that boga grip in his mouth. I think Cuz is becoming a big fan of the stinger hook and this fish probably wouldnt of been caught without it. It was another fat and healthy fish, we didnt get a true weight on it but we think it was around 30 to 35 lbs. It was at least 30, now Cuz doesnt take to much interest in a fish that size, but like parents at prom I made him take some pictures with his date:smile2::smile2: Well we ended up with around 75 lbs of fish in a few hours and then the bite seemed to shut off. What a great night out on the water, great food, company and a new personal best. I cant thank Cuz enough for taking me out and puting me on fish. He is first class all the way and a heck of a guy to be in a boat with.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Right on! Sounds like everybody needs to get on Cuz's boat now that he's being so generous! Congrats on your new PB!

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Way to go Ryan on a new PB!!!! Nice One!!!
    You guys are going to have to put Ol' Cuz on as a full time guide before long.:smile2: Nice job Cuz on another skunk removal....
    Now wheres the pictures....

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the new PB, sounds like a fun trip. What kind of hooks were ya'll using?

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks guys, yah he would probably have to retire as a pilot as busy as we would keep him. He can find some fish and is on a pretty hot steak with people who are in a slump. The pictures are on my camera at home I didnt have time to post them but I will when I get home. Or if Cuz gets the chance to get on today he has some on his camera as well.

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    way to go ryan, congrats on your new pb

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well That Does It,I'm Taking Big George's Picture Out of My Wallet and Putting Cuz's In !!!!! LOL. Congrat's Ryan on the New PB.:wink:

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well I'll tell ya what, I've really got the itch (no, not that type of itch, but thanks for the concern!) so i'm headed to the river here in the next hour! I can't take it any longer! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Congrats Ryan on a great night and a big atta boy to you Cuz!

I hope I can post a similar story tonight. I'll be launching in the STL where the meet and greet took place earlier this month if anyone else feels the "itch" :smile2:

Good Job guys!!!

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Congrats on the new PB :big_smile:

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    well congrats Ryan. I guess you cant go wrong with Mrs. Cuzs cooking and Cuzs fishin. My question is this, is it the cookin bringin you luck or the fishin guide? Or did any of you think of that ?

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    After thought. If its the cookin, I sure would appreciate a big ole care package to go to Memphis with. He He He And Good luck Bill. Tear em up

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats Ryan on the new PB. That Cuz is a guy that can get the job done.Thanks for sharing the trip.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    There are few things in this world you can count on, Cuz doing the best he can to help you catch fish, is definitely one of them. We all owe Mrs. Cuz a big debt too. No, not just for the fine food, I mean her allowing Cuz to go out as often as she does.
    We're going to have to change his signature on here to read "Cuz, the go to guy!"

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You did all the work Ryan. It was a joy for me to watch the smile on your face when we hoisted a 40 pound fish over the side. You fought the fish masterfully, in alot of current. I can tell you have done ALOT of fishing. Nice work bud. Here is some of the photos from my camera.

Your welcome along anytime.

Attached Files:

15. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    You have got that right Mr. Kutter. She didnt want me going out there alone so she sacraficed her husband for the cause last night. I think she might be a Saint. And ole Mr. Cuz is definately the "the go to guy", and I think I might have to start saving some money after fishing out of that big daddy. And Bob I dont know how lucky Mrs. Cuzs food is but i sure feel lucky every time I get to eat it!

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Being as Ryan just "had" to mention my prom date, I thought I'd toss in a photo of the ol gal. Just so happens, she's the skinniest gal I've ever taken to the prom. :wink:

Attached Files:

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Mr Bob, Mrs. Cuz is sitting here beside me, and she said she would be happy to make you up a care package for your Memphis journey. We live 10 minutes off of I-55 if you want to swing by on your way down. Let me know. She'll whip you up some "Good Luck Goodies" And of course, No Nanners will be used in the production process :wink:

18. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    You will just have to keep this off of Bill's radar if there are more of those cookies involved from our trip. I don't know what he would do to get his hands on more of those.

Sounds like Cuz is going to have to come up with a lottery system to decide you gets to go on the next ride along after everyone posting new PB with they go out with him.

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Nice Fish Ryan and you even remembered to take the cigarette out of your mouth this time...:smile2:

So, does this mean that when the famous Mr. Cuz gets to go fishing again I get to try to lose the Skunk on my back?

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Yeah Mike I would have had to pitch a live cigarette during that battle, he threw every dirty trick in the book at me. Here are a few more pictures from my camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: