New PB Sept 10

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shrewboy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Fished MIL of Sept 3 and didn't do well. Caught about 4-5 fish using white perch and drifting. Largest was 8 and 13#.

Sept 10 went out again and was planning to target the flatheads. After drift fishing for an hour, I had 3-4 cats, largest was about 12 pounds. At dark the wind seemed to get alittle stronger and I decided to got back to plan A. Anchored up in aboutt 6-8' water and fished for about a hour and 45 minutes. Caught ~4# channel, 9# blue, and a three foot gar. Just about 9:50 pm I had one of my clickers move every once in a while. I could feel something playing with it from time to time. Then all of a sudden, my other rod went screaming. I hooked my second gar about 4 foot long. Everytime I got it back to the boat it would take about 5 yards of line back out with him. It did this about 3-4 times. Then I heard the other rod start to click slowly again. With a rod in each hand I set the other rod. Right away I said screw this gar. I tightened the drag and placed him on the rod holder. About 5 mins later the gar had gotten off. I was still in battle with what I learned 8 mins later was a flathead. He did get wrapped around something for a short time, but not completely around it. I think I lost my scale because I couldn't find it. The flathead was 43 inches long and had a girth of 28-29 inches round. This past year I have landed a 21, 24, 25# flatheads. I never measured them. This is the first one I have ever measured and is for sure the largest one I've caught. I'm guessing 28-30 pounds or more. The one thing I know for sure is that I now need to catch one that is 30 plus pounds to break my PB. What are you thoughts on the weight? I attached two photos of the flathead for you to see. I also released it for another day to battle. While anchored up I was using cut perch. Only one 6-7" live perch was used and it caught the channel.

Attached Files:

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    that's a goodun. congrats

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    id be tickled to catch the gar lol nice flatty! be proud to show that one off

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Rob what ever it weighted thats a nice flathead :wink:

5. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    rob we just got 1 from ne capefear river that was 50 inches long & 33.25 in girth it weighed 64.6 i would say yours should be in the fourties at least looks alot like my 42 lbder congrats very nice flattie

6. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks, You might be my new best friend. :big_smile:

7. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That fish will definitly go 38-42 pounds it has alot of gut and a big head which means lots of weight, great fish an congrats.

8. supra06

supra06 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nice one. don't know about the weight but I think you now are shooting for the greater than 40 lb. mark in the future, to say the least.

9. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Very nice Flattie,My guess also would be around 40 lbs.Great fish regardless.:big_smile:

10. Bowyer

Bowyer New Member

State:
    NC
    Congratulations! I know you have put your time into it. It’s been fun watching you catch bigger and bigger fish. I know that 50 pound Blue is coming.

11. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    shes a beaut. Where were you?

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    That is by far a solid 40's class fish, but without seeing more pictures it is hard to say, but you got a real nice one there. There is no doubt in my mind that fish is over 40 lb. They got more muscle than anything out there!!!

13. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Much bigger than my 34# caught from the same lake, would say 40+, good job.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob congrats on the new PB Flathead. Nice fish regardless of weight. Thanks for sharing.

15. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    All I will say is the upper end of Mtn Island lake.

16. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Yup looks around the same as the 40lber I caught!

17. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Rob looks like a 40# to me. I plugged in your numbers into this calculator and it says 43#
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/weighing-catfish-without-scale-0
    Great job on the PB.

18. cavereric

cavereric New Member

State:
    Austin,Texas
    congrads on the new PB. Lindsay that link made my brain hurt and now I need to go drink beer after reading it THANKS.

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Rob, Congrats on your new PB Flat:wink::smile2: I am guessing 35 to 40lbs Thanks for the pics an story.

20. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.