New PB Sauger...LMAO!!!!!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by catfishjohn, May 9, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Here are some pics of the Beast!!!:crazy::roll_eyes::eek:oooh::wink::smile2:... Reason it was my PB was it was my first one that I can ever remember catching...:smile2:

I was gonna use him for bait but that would have been illegal. If someone knows 100% sure its a Sauger let me know. I'm almost positive but not 100%. LOL

I'm almost positive its a juvenile Sauger, it was mean and had a mouthful of razor sharp teeth!!!
    I hooked into another that destroyed the lure and I didn't feel like walking back to get another and then back to where they were...

CAUTION: Sit Down Before Looking at Pics!!! You may fall over!!!:wink::smile2:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ugerLOL006.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ugerLOL001.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ugerLOL002.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ugerLOL003.jpg

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Might be a Saugeye, but whichever, we call them little ones "SlimJims".

They musta turned loose a ship load of those things, the last couple of years we have been slamming them. Even got a few of the mommas and daddys last fall out of the Gdotte, low water and all.

BTW Excellent eating and they don't have to be all that big to get a decent fillet.:big_smile:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    It's no wonder you're fallin down while fishing, just look at that bank you have to go down to get to the water!!!:eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot about a very odd thing that happened also. I was reeling in my last cat pole before leaving and got snagged.
    I fought with it and noticed the hook was hooked onto a familiar looking green line. I managed to get to the line and got it loose. It turned out that it was the same line and hook I had lost in that area a week or so ago. It was the same green Mossy Oak 30# test line with my Red Octopus 8/0 hook on the end snagged in a big branch.
    That was just way too strange for me, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't saw it. Regina was with me and saw it too.
    Anybody ever had that happen? At least I got my hook back and about 30+ yards of line out of the water to the trash.
    I also cleaned out a lot of branches out of that area today and lost a lot of weight and hooks.

I did have a good run on my Cat pole but missed him when I set the hook. Coulda been a 1#er or a 100#er, just have to go back and try again.:wink::big_smile:
    I was using live Israeli Carp and frozen Gill heads for bait. The only run was on the Israeli.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't come down that way. Down that way is where I caught that beast.
    Where I come down there used to be a road that led almost to the water but is now chained up. Its still a steep hard walk, especially going up.:wink:

Me and Danny(Firechief4201) are gonna go hit one of his spots tonight. Hope to have a good report tomorrow!!!:wink::big_smile:

I know I'll be paying badly for the 2 trips, I'm already paying for the first one...:sad2:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Danzig for the info & pics. I now think its a saugeye instead of a Sauger. Looks more like the Saugeye than a regular Sauger by looking at some pics.

Thanks for the info!!!:wink::big_smile:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I sent the pic to Crab with my phone and he says hes almost positive its a Sauger. I wish the pics were better then we'd know for sure.....:confused2:

In KY, is there a size limit on them? I know he was too small but just thought about that.....:confused2:

8. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Are you gonna get him mounted?

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I thought about it but don't have the cash. He'd been mount worthy though...:crazy::roll_eyes::wink::smile2:....He was a hog, I thought he was gonna snap that 8# test but luckily I managed to land him...:tounge_out::wink::smile2:...Also wasn't sure if the Abu Cardinal 102 was gonna get it done either...:crazy::roll_eyes::smile2:

I threw him back, too small to keep and illegal for bait in KY.:big_smile:

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    actualy while i walk the in the streams that i trout fish, at least once a week ill trip over some old line or my lure will snag some that some one lost. sometimes ill get a nice spinner or rapala or something. so ill believe it.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    LOL We call those lttle ones cigars! But hey it was a first for you! Good luck tonight and call me with updates.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    you should have brought your scales and tried to get it certified.

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had your self a fun time fishing thats a monster sauger lol, I bet that thing put up a heck of a fight, jk, still its a fish and congrats on it.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks all. I mainly posted this as a joke but it was my first Sauger. I figured I'd get some laughs and funny replies out of it...:wink::smile2:

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    John - We get a lot of Sauger and Walleye in my local waters. Its harder to tell them apart when they are smaller but once they get a bit bigger the Walleye have a distinct white tip on the bottom of their tail and the Sauger have a camo pattern to their appearence! They are fun to catch!

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a very nice Sauger.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    That would look nice in my fishtank.

Whatever it is, it would taste great in about 4 years.

18. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro

19. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I hope your not sore from reeling in the whopper. Thanks for the post.

20. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    An epic batlle.....Your finest hour no doubt about it.:smile2: As far as catching your line a week or so after losing it, my grandmother fishes in a pond its about 2 acres in size. We were fishing there one day and she had her pole laying on the ground and a fish hitit and in the water it went. Boy she was mad! The following year she went fishing and she thought she had hooked into a big bluegill but it turned out to be her pole she lost the year before.