New PB Last Night on the 'Bash

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bnorth, Sep 15, 2008.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went out last night on the Wabash at West Lafayette with Justin (Shad Man) and Mike (wellman450r) for some post rain catfishing. It was a pretty wet evening and the Wabash is still really low, there were several places we didn't know if we'd make it thru.

We got out around 6ish and cast the net for some shad and then set up above a nice hole midriver. Justin started off the evening with a couple of nice channels in the 2 lb range. Then around 8:45 the spool on my pole starting singing. At first it didn't seem all that big, but after a 10 minute fight to the surface, we got the first look at a monster blue. Since we'd been fishing for channels I had been using a 5/0 eagle claw circle hook. After seeing that fish I was a little concerned about the quality of my hook! All in all the fight took about 25 minutes to finally get the fish to the net. The fish was sure enough a very large female blue catfish that easily bottomed out our 50lb scales. We all guessed it some where in the 60lb range, but as soon as I can get the pictures up I'll let you guys take some guesses at the weight. After a quick photo op she was released back to the water to fight another day.

I knew there were blues in the Wabash but I never would have guessed they would be this far North or anywhere close to this big...anyone else seen a 50lb+ blue come out of the Wabash?

2. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yeah I have last night!!

3. Jetdoc

Jetdoc New Member

State:
    Mooresville Indiana
    The 54# in my avatar came from the wabash around the Lodi area which is a bit south of Lafeyette. It seems like we always catch a 50/50 ratio of flats to blues so I know there are some big ones in there.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK here they are...any guesses on how big? It did bottom out a 50lb scale, so it's over 50...55? 60? 65?

Attached Files:

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrats on your PB and what a good story reps to you

6. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    That fish looks as big as you Ben! So I'd
    guess mabye 170 lbs. LOL! I know you were
    doing the happy dance after that. Great job!

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Congrats on the big blue, looks to be every bit 60lbs or bigger.

8. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    What a night! You ever figure out those girth and length measurements? maybe that would help with some weight estimates.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Actually I think those strings are out in my Jeep, I'll go get 'em here in a minute and post the measurements.

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Congrats on your BP, that thing is a good looking pig. :wink:
    ''Reps to you brother''

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    awesome blue bro., great job!!! ill guess the measurements will say its 62.14.lol

Ben, ill be over tonight to go fishing. lmao

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
  13. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    On a side note I would like to thank Shad Man and Wellman450r, for the invite to join them last night...it was definitely a catch of a lifetime for me. I try to one better myself every year for my personal best. This one is going to be hard to beat. But anyway, thanks again guys, and we'll have to do that again sometime, hopefully someone else will be on the reeling end of another big fish!

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Bnorth,

Anytime man. It was great and I am glad we got that big momma in my boat. Hopefully I get to see another one that size again before I die! The best part about it is we let her go I know what hole she's in!

15. wellman450r

wellman450r New Member

State:
    Lafayette
    Yeah im actually fishing the hole right now just surfin the net. Already caught two just under that size. Ha! It was great having you along (and the big blue helped a little too.)

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats too cool bro, now your new avatar'll take some gettin' use to! Big time congrats on that bad boy (girl)!

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT fish! Congrats! Reps sent your way!
    Bill in SC

18. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Congratulations, that is a beautiful Blue Cat.

19. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Should I submit it to the hall of fame since I don't have an exact weight? I feel bad edging someone out on speculation...

20. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    You better because when I catch her I'm going to have a bigger scale.