NEW PB for Snagged2, Yehaw!!!

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Snagged2, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Wednesday night, Jim and I, towed the Bayliner I stole, to Roosevelt Lake and got into the water about 2pm.. The wind was up and blowing pretty good,, had a few whitecaps out in the lake.. motored around trying to find some gills, or Any kind of bait...I'm known loosely as the worst bait fisherman around!!
    As the wind was as bad as I cared for, we went to the west side of the lake and got under a bluff, in a small cove, Much calmer,, and Jim started nailing a few gills,,Nice sized ones at that!! I lucked out and managed a few also.. I also had a Channel Rig out, 3 channels, (no keepers-small), and 2 Carp (keepers=bait) later,, It was getting time to put out the Flatcat rigs..
    We found a spot that looked pretty good.. anchored, got set, and, launched the rigs,,
    About 8:30. One of my rods Rrriiiippppped the clicker pretty good, and I landed a fairly nice flat 9#'s or so.. a bit later,, it went off again,, but, no joy on that one,,

I'd cut up the smaller carp and on one of my rigs I had a piece of cut carp on,, about 9 pm, that rig sounded off,, Quite Nicely!!, and started trying to fight what turned out to be another Phantom fish,, got everything back, but, the bait..

AS I was trying to conserve our meager bluegill supply, Jim said, Go ahead and put on that big Gill, So, I rigged up with a 10/0 King Kahle, stuck the gill on, and tossed the mess out,, I knew it was a good cast, as I heard it hit the water.!!!!:eek:oooh::wink::big_smile:
    About 45 minutes later,, That rig went off,, and how!!! I'd never heard that sound off like that..Like a piece of carped getting torn!!! I grabbed the rod, and gave a good hookset,, and, cranked The handle of the AG 7000iC3.. I had something Big on.. My 50# rated rod, was really bent and stayed that way till I pulled up the biggest Flathead I've ever seen in person...What a battle,,,Loved every minute of it..
    Jim was standing by with the landing net,, and ,, I told him,, That ain'ta goin' ta work!!!
    I got the Flat in as close to the stern as I dared, and handed the rod to Jim and he held it up and I grabbed the lower jaw of that fish, and started hauling him into the boat,, I pulled, and pulled somemore, and finally got him all in!!!!
    I knew I'd increased my Personal Best Flathead substantially!!!
    The scaled told us he weighed 36.5 #'s..
    After some pics,, He slipped back into the water the next morning..

No more fish that night,
    But, last night I lucked out and caught a nice Channel on a float rig with a gill head, and another bigger 9#er on a blue gill on a regular rig.

All in all, a Great trip,, Thanks to Jim (jeastm) took the pics of PB, Dave (Bubbacat) I stole his boat!!,
    and a new entry into Flatcattin, Ivan,, also took some pics, and, might've had some Fun!!.
    Well, OK,, now to regroup, repair, resupply, rest, and,,,,Return!!!!:big_smile::smile2:

Attached Files:

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    way to go bud! thats a nice fish in anybodys book! :big_smile:

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats Greg, that makes for a very good and memorable nite in anybody's book. Stay safe and thanx for sharing!!!:wink:

4. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    Congrats Snagged2 on new PB :big_smile: maybe you should get a bigger landing net. I hope when you go again you get bigger one

5. Az_racer_75

Az_racer_75 New Member

State:
    Arizon
    congrats on your pb...i cant wait to get my first!!

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish man! That is a JIM DANDY!!:big_smile: rollo

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Congrats on the PB thats what we like to see here keep up the good work:wink:

8. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Heck yeah bro, What a toad!! Super nice fish!! Roosie Makes many Flatheaders very very happy!!

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Greg congrats on the new PB Flathead. Nice fish. Enjoyed the pics.

10. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Awesome fish,sounds like a fun night!:cool2:

11. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Wow, great fish! Nice work :big_smile:

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That's awesome man. Hope you thought of me for at least a split second. i would have loved to see that fish. Also would have loved to see that dumb looking smile you get when you have a good night. Wish we both lived closer to big fish and could do it more often.

FREAKING AWESOME!!!

13. flathead-40

flathead-40 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Awesome fish, bet you had a blast. Congrats!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Congrats on a fine PB, Greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!n Reps out to ya!

Bill in SC

15. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    CONGRATS BOSS:big_smile:

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    great fish greg,congrats.

17. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Greg, Yippie Ya Yo, That is a nice fish. I can picture the excitement when you realized it was the rod with the live gill. That one keeps your adrenaline going for a while. Congrats!

18. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :crazy:now thats a pig congrats bro looking forwerd to the day i catch one close to that monster :cool2:

19. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    nice fish man looks like u guys had a awsome night