New PB for Joshua and questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by John6518, Jun 12, 2008.

1. John6518

John6518 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I set up a folding chair with rocks and a harness underneath so all Joshua (almost 4 years old) has to do is put one hand on the rod then reel "his" Ambassadeur 7000 like crazy to get the fish to the bank (I am responsible for the rest but must take the gaff down whether a 1 pounder or a 100 pounder or Josh will howl. He says "must have big-hook (gaff) for the monsters." And technically no 100 pounders yet but don't tell Josh that). An electric motor could not crank the reel any faster!

He caught an almost 8 pound blue last night which is his record. Previously a 1.5 pound channel was his PB. Compared to the monsters posted on here I know it's not much but considering he ways 42 pounds that's 19% of his body weight. I would have to catch a 42.75 pound blue to match his catch (maybe I either need to lose weight or we should not compare catch's by body weight)!

I was going to throw it back and he raised a howl as if I had locked the vise grips on his toe (some of you are going to have to talk to him about catch and release. But he has no problem if I catch them and throw them back, but you don't do that with his fish).

So I skinned and cleaned it last night. Stomach was PACKED with a round, clear object about the size of a quarter. Similar to a fish scale, but I don't think that is what it was. At bottom of stomach was broken shells that appeared to be from sort of a mussel or bivalve. What had it been eating?

Five pound Channel in the picure (THAT I CAUGHT) had nothing in it's stomach. Josh has the makings of a great fisherman, by the way, he told the neighbors last night he caught the channel, too!

John

Attached Files:

2. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    That's the to get him started, way to go Joshua.:wink: Good job!!! it's the best when you have your son with you and he is catching fish.

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Ya thats the way to get him started lol

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your new PB.

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Great job on a nice cat. Not sure what you found in it though.

6. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Congrats on the new PB Joshua. Nice looking fish. John, hats off to you. You have ruined Joshua of doing anything else but fishing. LOL Glad to see you guys are catching some blues too. Thanks for the post guys, really nice to see family values still being practiced.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Congrats to the little one on his pb.......

8. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good story. Big cats sure capture the imagination of fishermen both young and old. Thanks for sharing.

9. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Way to go!! I am sure you have a lifetime memory for both you and your son. You both may catch bigger and smaller fish in the future but you guys will never forget this one!! Congrats to both of you for the special memory and to Joshua for a fine catch.

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Congrats to Josh on his PB. Keep him going, it will just get better.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    My wife and I really enjoyed reading about your fun time Joshua! I hope you two keep it up.
    As far as the clear thing you found all I can think of is some of the structural bone like doodad thing's found in crabs. Maybe it ate some sort of a shellfish not sure but that is what came to mind.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Its really hard to tell what you found, however I suspect its some type of mussel shell. Congrats to the little fisherman on the new PB

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    great job next time you dont wanna keep um can tell him ' are ya shure ya dont wanna let him go? he'll be twice a s big next time. :wink:

14. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Good job little man!!! Congrads on your PB blue cat!! :cool2: Hey you are going to be a fisherman cause your already telling lies about your dads fish!!:big_smile::big_smile::smile2::smile2: WAY TO GO BUDDY!!!!!:tounge_out::wink: