New PB Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by patrickgd, Aug 17, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Tonight I caught my best Flathead to date. It was a real strange night. I was a little bummed out that a good friend I was hoping to fish with had to cancel on me and so I was fishing by myself. I got to the river at about 5:00pm or so after catching a dozen or so Bluegill. I was trying a different spot than where I usually fish (closer to the heavier current) but in a whirl behind some revetment. I was using a 3-way dropper rig with 10 lb. mono to the sinker because of lots of riprap snags. Needless to say throughout the night I got hung up several times and threw my weight clean off 3 times. In disgust after the last weight being thrown off at 9:15pm, I let a bait stay out with no weight :angry:. Soon after, I hooked a descent feeling fish on the "weightless" Bluegill. It was a 6 or 7 lb. Drum. I had fun catching the thing but it was sort of "insult to injury". while I was trying to get the hook out of his mouth I decided it was time to leave but got a phone call which delayed me from reeling in my only line left out, that distraction was the 3 minutes of magic I needed to hook the BIG ONE. So as soon as I got off the phone I headed over to grab my rod and low and behold it was starting to bend. I grabbed it and felt a good jerk so I crossed it's eyes with a wicked hook set, when I felt the weight all I could do was go :big_smile:. It felt really good to feel that weight pulling back then peeling out drag. He made several runs but I eventually wore him down where he was calm enough to net. I need to add that netting a good sized fish by yourself is kind of tricky. I managed to hold the net between my legs while I pulled him in close enough. The net held him but only could fit half of him in it but that was enough to get him on the bank. After that I walked with him up to the parking lott by the river. There was 5 police in the lott and they got a big kick out of the fish and they took some photos of him with my camera. I weigh him on my $5 Wal-Mart scales which read 28 lbs. but I'm going to check the scales accuracy because I think he was bigger. I then took him back down and released him. He took awhile to revive but after a few minutes he lazily tailed his way back out into the river. I thanked the Lord for making it all possible....then called everyone I could think of to tell them :smile2:.

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a new PB. I am sure your scale worked just fine. Good luck in the future

3. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thats a great story. Congrats on the pb. That is an awesome looking fish. Keep up the good work. Keep the stories coming.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congratsthat is a fine looking fish.id say hes right around 28 though

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    A Big CONGRATS on your PB Flathead Catfish!!

:008:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Congratulations and very nice fish Patrick!

I know how you felt, I caught my PB this past April.

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    CONGRATS ON THE BIG BOY! I LOVE THE "CROSSED HIS EYES" HOOKSET NEVER HEARD ANYONE SAY THAT BEFORE.

8. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Congrats on your new PB! Thanks for sharing the pics and the great story.

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congrats on your new pb! Looks like you'll be changing your avatar with the new fish?:big_smile:

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Heres a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your new PB!:big_smile:

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Nice fish man! Glad you had somebody there to take some good pictures. Congratulations.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Time for a bigger net, LOL. Great story and pics, congrats on the Pb.

-Jim-

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your New PB Flathead Catfish.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My Man!!!!! I knew it wouldn't be long before you got to landing the good ones! Thats a really nice fish. Congratulations to you brother! Now I got to go catch me another one!!!:wink:

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
  17. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well I tested my scales today on a 21 lb. bag of charcoal and they were "right on the nose". This fish indeed was a 28lber. Thanks again to all!:wink:

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Good job, Patrick. You keep that up and you might have to get a bigger
    dip net.

19. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on the new PB Patrick!:cool2:

20. CJ21