New PB Flathead Catfish From Claytor Lake

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by riverdawg-1, Sep 19, 2007.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Went to Claytor last night and bank fished from DeHaven park. Got there about 9:30 and at 12:00 hadn't even had a bite. Then I caught a 10# channel on cut gill. About 15 minutes later the rod with cut sucker took off, 10 minutes later a 30# flattie was in front of me. Then the fun began when I realized I didn't have a net and was fishing on a retaining wall 3 feet above the water. I had to lay on my stomach hold the rod down with my leg and it took both hands to get the flattie up. By then both my hands were bleeding, but I got the fish, the 2nd time this year I broke my pb for a Flattie. Sorry the pics are so bad, my flash wouldn't work so I was trying to hold it up in front of my headlights and get pics. The channel came home and the Flattie is still swimming:big_smile:
    Chip 30# 001.jpg

30# 002.jpg

30# 003.jpg

2. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Riverdawg, sounds like a fun night. I live in Radford and fish Claytor a lot, mostly for channel cats. I've had a good summer and the bite seems to be turning on following the cooler weather lately. I recently caught my PB channel on cut bluegill, a nice 16 pounder. Great catch and a good story. Thanks for sharing.

mike in SW VA

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chip thanks for sharing your fishing story and pics of a nice flattie. Sounds like you went through a lot to land that fish. A job well done.

4. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats. on your PB Chip!!:big_smile: Sounds like you were in a bind!!! Very nice flattie!!! Good luck brother!!!:cool2:

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Nice Flat There Chip, Congrats on the New PB Thanks For Sharing The Story And the Pics.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Nice fish thanks for CPR it will be bigger next year when you catch it.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice catch Chip. Reps to ya for putting in all the effort for the catch and pics!:wink:

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    WTG on landing that fish !! I broke my Pb last week but I had 2 guys come running over and help me out ( prolly sounded like I was getting mugged ). It also broke their net and mine. You still beat me by 10lb ~Congratz~

9. striperman

striperman New Member

State:
    va

sounds like fun. I fish claytor every weekend mostly for stripers. We catch alot of cats while fishing for stripers.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Congrats on the PB. Sounds like you was in a bit of a predicament landing her. Reps to you for the release. Thats cool. Catch her again when she goes 50 lbs or so.:big_smile:

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the PB flat. Makes those bleeding knuckles worth the pain:smile2:. Thanks for sharing the story, pics, and for practicing CPR on the breeders:cool2:.

12. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Great job on your PB....:big_smile:
    mikeb

13. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    DeHaven Park is a great spot on Claytor Lake. It's one of the few places where you can fish all night. It's on the main lake with a large flat coming off a deeper channel. I'm sure Riverdawg can back me up on this, it gets a lot of action from the stripers/hybrids and largemouth bass busting on baitfish all the way up to the retaining wall. A buddy of mine caught a 46-pound flathead there last year while throwing a big bucktail for stripers. Thought he was hung up until it started to pull his boat around. I'm heading there tomorrow night.

mike in SW VA

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Yeah, Ive caught several nice hybrids there also from the bank. Mike if your up there on friday night look for a white vw beetle or a gold nissan pickup-I'm going to try to make it up myself. Hope to see you there.
    Chip

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats on your new PB flat. nice looking fish glad to see it was released for someone else to catch and get bigger.

16. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the steady supply of reports and pics here recently Chip. You've certainly been putting in your time, and it looks like its been paying off for you!

17. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Didn't make it to DeHaven on Friday night, but did get there Saturday. Got there around 7:00 p.m. in time to catch several bluegills. My buddy from Roanoke arrived at 7:45 p.m. and we set up for what we hoped would be some decent catfishing. We had 6 rods out and around 8:30 p.m. we had the first hook-up. It was a small flathead that might have weighed 4-lbs. Let him go to grow some more. Well, that was it! We didn't get another bite and called it quits around 2:00 a.m. I think we'll try again this weekend.

mike in SW VA

18. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    You didn't miss much Fri Mike. I fished about all night and caught 4 small chanells and 1 flathead about 14 inches. On Sat were you fishing on the main channel side of DeHaven in a whit Jeep? I was down on the point near the pier, but only fished till about 10:30 or so because the moon was so bright.
    Chip

19. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Riverdawg,
    That was me in a light tan Jeep. My buddy's White Nissan pickup was parked beside me. You're right, that was a pretty bright moon. I'll be hitting it again this weekend, just not sure whether I'll be there Friday or Saturday night. Stop by whenever you're there at the same time.

mike

20. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great job on your PB flattie, sounds like you had fun:tounge_out: