New PB Channel Cat (I finally made it to double digits!!)

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by baptistpreach, Sep 12, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I just broke my PB record at midnight (9/11/07) I thought I'd relate the story and show you some pictures!

We had a cold snap come in here in Oklahoma and I thought that perhaps the catfish might enjoy it, so I thought I'd go and see if I could get a piece of the action. I went to a local pond and fished and for about an hour I without a bite. I had my nicer and stronger abu 6000 combo in my hands and I let the other rod rest between my armrest and seat. My wife called to see how it was going and while she called the rod started bending, but it was the one I had wedged in my chair! I picked it up and yanked (still on the phone with my wife) and when I yanked, he did too! I told my wife I'd call her back, but this felt like a good fish. He kept pulling out drag, so I tightened mine more. I even stopped to really take in the great fight I had on the end of my line. I had to crank my drag all the way down, but I banked him, and I was looking at a massive channel! When I pulled out the scales and he went 14lbs 1oz! I ran him to the house (2 mins away), got pictures and video, and took him back to the pond, and watched him swim away to fight another day!!

Thanks for reading, I am so excited! I guess now I need to eye the 20lb mark!! I appreciate all the help and encouragement I've gotten so far and because of the influence of the BOC, I did CPR the biggest catfish of my life!

Attached Files:

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Nice channel cat you have there. It has been blazing hot here for the past few days. Yesterday the weather finally broke with a nice rain. Im heading out myself today in search of a nice channel cat or two.....Congrats..

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't blame you for being proud. Congrads on your PB and on the C PR.Next time you get him maybe he'll be a few # heavier.

4. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the pb, Great fish.

5. 450rider

450rider New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice catch!It never fails,sit there for an hour with no action but the minute the phone rings you get a bite.

6. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Congratulations David, nice catch.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    David congrats on reaching the double digits.Nice channel. Thanks for sharing.:big_smile:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice channel, and congrats.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Congrats on your new PB. Nice pics too. :wink:

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I'll bet that was just plain FUN getting him in. He looks like a nice healthy fat fish. Congrats!

11. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    nice fish and definetly nice story. Good pictures too boot. Those are some healthy looking channels

12. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Congrats, nice channel cat.

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    David, congrats on your personnal best. mine is only 12 something. glad you released him. i'm not a strict C&R, but i think after 7-8lbs, they start tasting odd. good job and have your wife call more often. :wink:
    gary

14. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Great fish Preach! You think you could get your wife to call me (collect) next time I go??

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Congrat's David That's a Nice Channel in any Mans Book.J.D.:wink:

16. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Real nice fish. Bring on the cornmeal.:wink:

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    David - Congrats on the your new PB Channel Cat! :big_smile: That is a real beauty! :cool2:

18. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thats an awesome channel man!!

Congratulations!

Tom

19. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I hate to admit it, but I caught this fish out of the local city park pond!! I have caught some pretty nice fish from it in time past! I have fished it for over a year and NEVER thought there was a fish that went double digits in there (besides a couple of carp that looked huge)! In fact, they actually shocked it (the parks and recreation director of Weatherford is a fishing nut!), and said there was 10 bass over 3lbs (one 5lb 4oz), one 17lb carp (which they killed), and ONE 8lb catfish! They just recently put 500 catfish (most less than a pound), and after all this time fishing, I catch this fish! I guess there must have been a couple of other catfish that escaped the electroshock detection! Just a little FYI, that goes to show, you just never know what is in a body of water!!

20. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats David on your PB!!:cool2: Thats a nice channel anywhere!!!