New PB Channel Cat!! 14lbs 1oz

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by baptistpreach, Sep 12, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I just broke my PB record at midnight (9/11/07) I thought I'd relate the story and show you some pictures!

Everyone in Oklahoma has felt the relief from the heat lately, it seemed the catfish might enjoy it as much as I have, so I thought I'd go and see if I could get a piece of the action. I went to a local pond and fished and for about an hour I without a bite. I had my nicer and stronger abu 6000 combo in my hands and I let the other rod rest between my armrest and seat. My wife called to see how it was going and while she called the rod started bending, but it was the one I had wedged in my chair! I picked it up and yanked (still on the phone with my wife) and when I yanked, he did too! I told my wife I'd call her back, but this felt like a good fish. He kept pulling out drag, so I tightened mine more. I even stopped to really take in the great fight I had on the end of my line. I had to crank my drag all the way down, but I banked him, and I was looking at a massive channel! When I pulled out the scales and he went 14lbs 1oz! I ran him to the house (2 mins away), got pictures and video, and took him back to the pond, and watched him swim away to fight another day!!

Thanks for reading, I am so excited! I guess now I need to eye the 20lb mark!! I appreciate all the help and encouragement I've gotten so far and because of the influence of the BOC, I did CPR the biggest catfish of my life!

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30133&stc=1&d=1189623746

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30132&d=1189623366

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats to you. Nice channel.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Very nice channel cat David. Congrats and thanks for shareing the story with us. Hope you catch him again when it weighs 20+

4. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Way to go David....enjoyed readin about your experience. Now just aim for its big brother/sister. Lookin forward tot reading the next story.

5. tatooed11

tatooed11 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    me and my uncle are new to the state and we are looking for a good spot to catch monster cat fish we are in OKC area we will travel if we can get some pointer's on were to go and what to use for bait can you help us out?
    THANXS Kevin

6. tatooed11

tatooed11 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    man nice catch were do i go for fishing like that?

7. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    A real nice fish, Dave... and the smile kinda says it all!

8. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Almost forgot... you might have to change your avatar now! ahahaha...

Dave

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Nice fish! I bet you are looking forward to hooking into him again. The part that makes me jealous is that you are just two minutes away from such a good pond :big_smile: I'm afraid my wife might forget what I looked like if I lived that close to the water!

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice fish,Congrats,thanks for sharin.

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I'll see if I can get back to you about some of the other things, but if you want a great catfishing lake, I have heard awesome things about Sooner lake, it is supposed to have 70+pound blues, and it is about an hour from OKC. Now in my neck of the woods, we have three nice catfishing lakes, Canton, Ft. Cobb, and Foss.

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I hate to admit it, but I caught this fish out of the local city park pond!! I have caught some pretty nice fish from it in time past! I have fished it for over a year and NEVER thought there was a fish that went double digits in there (besides a couple of carp that looked huge)! In fact, they actually shocked it (the parks and recreation director of Weatherford is a fishing nut!), and said there was 10 bass over 3lbs (one 5lb 4oz), one 17lb carp (which they killed), and ONE 8lb catfish! They just recently put 500 catfish (most less than a pound), and after all this time fishing, I catch this fish! I guess there must have been a couple of other catfish that escaped the electroshock detection! Just a little FYI, that goes to show, you just never know what is in a body of water!!

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the PB :cool2:.

14. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hey BP, congrats on the PB.

15. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    nice fish brother, ive still got to top my 12 pound pb channel by the end of this year to make at least one of my goals.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Congrats!!! That's a big channel cat for sure.

17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Coming from you that is indeed a great compliment! Thanks!

18. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Congratulations on the new PB...

Any channelcat over 10 pounds is a trophy! We all thank you for the CPR.

Those small ponds are a goldmine... protect your gold by telling no one where it is... It's not being selfish... it's preserving your privelege to fish there. If word gets out, slobs will invariably come in and trash the place. Gates become forever locked after that.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thats a great channel cat!! Awesome JOB!

20. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on the PB!!! I didn't even know weatherford had a good catfish pond. I live in cordell and I ought to meet ya up there sometime. What did you use to catch him?

-Eric