The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've always known the flapper cut as the Santee Cooper cut. The way I was shown was to cut a reverse fillet on one side only, and leave the fillet attached to the fish by it's head. Then cut the tail off. Then break the vertebrae so that you can fold the back half toward the fish's head. You put the hook through the tail section first then through the fish's eyes. Leaves a good amount of hook exposed. I was using a shad cut like this when I caught my avatar PB. Great way to present a bait when bumping/walking.
Thanks for the explanation, I was trying to figure a different way to go about it but that sums it up. I’m going to have to try that as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
John,
The 72#, that I caught right before you caught Leviathan himself, was 55” long but only 31” In girth . You Missouri folk must feed your critters better than we do up this way.

Speaking of food. How does your’s taste? This one is honestly the best eating fish I’ve had. The flesh is white as snow and very mild. Even the g/kids eat it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
John,
The 72#, that I caught right before you caught Leviathan himself, was 55” long but only 31” In girth . You Missouri folk must feed your critters better than we do up this way.

Speaking of food. How does your’s taste? This one is honestly the best eating fish I’ve had. The flesh is white as snow and very mild. Even the g/kids eat it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The folks I gave it too (neighbor and my kids) thought it quite good. I have enough flathead in the freezer for myself.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I did no measure the one I caught. Just got a weight and a pic then back in the water with him.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Troy, I use to just measure them and applied the MDC's chart based on those measurement. I then bought a good set of scales and both weighed and measured. 9 times out of 10 the fish I used the MDC's weight chart on then weighed were more than the chart said.

·
Registered
58 Posts
@JHH I agree, I don't trust that chart much. Every large fish I've caught that I actually take the time to measure head to tail ends up weighing much more than what it says on the MDC chart. What scales are you guys using to weigh these bigger fish? I'm looking into getting a net and scale combo for quick, easy, reliable weights.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Got a cabelas 150 lb game scale I keep tuned with a known weight.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts