New PB Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Boy dont know what happened on the last try. Guess I have been up to many hours. Close to 24. Went fishing Saturday night. What a great night to go fishing. Well anyway got set up about 7:30. Then about 8:15 to 8:30 the pole went over hard and stayed there. Got the rod and the fight was on. My favorite fishing partner was with me which is my wife. Anyway this fish was taking drag. I would gain a little and it would take alot. I knew it was a big fish. Seamed like the fight went on forever. I got this fish close to the boat at least 5 times and it would go off on another run. It had to be on one of my lighter poles. I thought it was going to break the rod. I caught it on an Abu 6300C with 30lb cajun line and a med heavy bass rod which is a cheap 20 dollar rod I bought at Wal-Mart who knows how many years ago:wink::smile2:. Anyway when I got it to where I could see it. I about had a heart attack. The wife had the net and the current was so strong that everytime she got it into the water the net would turn and go flat on her. She could not get it into the water deep enought to get the fish into. Finialy we got the head started into the net. The front fins on the fish got caught in the net and I got it into the boat. What a relief:smile2:. My biggest blue up to this point was 13 lbs. Got the scales out and they are 50 lb scales. This blue bottomed out the scale before I would get it off the floor of the boat. By the way I had the fish in the net to weigh so there would be no harm to the fish. Still dont know the weight of the fish because we got some pictures and let it go. The measurements of the fish were length 54 3/4 inches long and girth 34 1/2 inches. I took these measurement 3 times to make sure that they were accurate. Any comments on what you all think this fish would weight would be appreciated. I dont know how to post pictures and as soon as Brandon (BKS72) gets off the river he is supposed to come by and post them for me. What a great night the good Lord blessed me and the wife with. I am like a kid in a candy store right now. Cant wait to get the pictures posted and share them with all the brothers and sisters on the site. When the pictures get in to compair them to my size I am about 6 2 and 235. Just want to say thanks to all the info I have recieved on this site. Because I would have never fished a spot like I pull this giant out of.

Tom

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    awsome story brother cant wait to see pics congrats on the new pb im looking forwerd to the day i can get one that big:cool2:

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Congratulations! Don't you just love getting a new PB.

4. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Tom congrads on your new pb. the biggest blue i have caught so far is 14 lbs. i hope someday i can pull in a big blue. congrads.

5. MO RIVER MAN

MO RIVER MAN New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Sounds like a beast congrats.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats Tom, great fish and story, thanks. Get Brandon to werk, i wanna see it.:wink:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Way to go Tom. Congrats on a new PB. Now get Branden to post some pictures allready. :big_smile:

(length x girth x girth รท 800)
    Not sure if thats the correct formula for catfish but if so thats a HAWG......
    That comes out to 81.45 POUNDS. :eek:oooh::cool2:

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Oh my congrats. Thats one nice fish there for sure. I wanna thank you for letting us in on your personal best also. You caught a awesome fish for sure.

9. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    CONGRATS on the PB !!!!!!!!!!:big_smile_2:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds like a real nice fish you had there. I'll give you a little tip on netting fish in the river. I have a some rod holders on the side of my boat as well as the back. When my girlfriend is with me and is netting a fish. I have her place the handle of the net against one of the rod holders that way it's braced up against something and helps keep it in place. Before I have her place the net in the river I make sure and get the fish up against the boat and up river from where the net is going to be. Once the fish is in place the net goes in the water and I lower the fish into the net. It's best to lower all fish into the net no matter who is doing the netting.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Tom, congrats on the fish!

The rest of ya, I'm on my way over to see and help with the pix now, just hold your horses:smile2:

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hey how did the fishing go for you last night?

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats Tom, On Your New PB Hawg Of A Blue Cat:big_smile:.

I Can't Wait For The Pics, and Thanks For Explaning The Story.

What Is It Going To Take For You MO Boys To Get A Real Scales(over 50 pounds)??:big_smile::wink:Lol.J/K

14. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Here are the pictures of the fish.

Tom

Attached Files:

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Tom, Congrats on an awesome blue cat there. Way to go!

16. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Here is the rest of the pictures of the fish. One of me releasing the fish.

Tom

Attached Files:

17. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    nice fish Tom, congrats.

The scales just a number, the fight is the measure, and from your post I don't think you'll be forgetting that for a long time,lol.

18. Propshredder

Propshredder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    NIIIICCCEEE!! Great fish. Enjoy the memories and thanks for the release. Great job.

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You didn't just break your PB, you SHATTERED it! Great job, and thanks for the exciting story. Reps will be sent your way.
    BB in SC

20. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Great job Tom. You deserved it with all the hours you have put in this year. You da man.