New PB Blue catfish!!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Got out this morning with Pendog66 on the Ohio, I felt bad about taking him out on Thursday and not being able to get him a Blue cat but the hopes were in the air today, arrived at super foggy conditions around 8:00 am and slowly got ready, got some shad and started downriver hitting a few places as we went, started off tough with Nate getting a 2 lb channel and then we each missed the next few bites at the next few spots so things were not looking good, so we switched over to drifting in hopes of getting a blue for Nate and we drifted, then drifted some more and after reallly long drift was about to bag it when I got a decent bite and set the hook, didnt feel too big for the first minute or two then I started to realize this was really nice fish so I started to baby it a little more since it hit my lightest rod and the rod with only a 6/0 circle so until I knew how good it was hooked, I was taking it easy. About this time, I was getting Nate to pull in the other lines and too late, he was tangled in one of the other lines so we worked on that for a bit and about the time we got that undone, a tug was moving a barge around and so we had to motor up and slowly move out of his way while I was fighting it, finally had it in the clear and struggled to get her up from the bottom and when I did, was amazed at the sheer stregth this fish had, a nice fat, well fed Blue just a hair under 30 lbs!! My best yet in 4 years of chasing them!! 2 pics for ya...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

then we tried for a while after that with nothing so we switched gears and started anchoring up again and then Nate got a nice 14 lb Flattie,

[​IMG]

and then he got a big whopper of a flattie....:smile2:

[​IMG]

afte that we moved around a bit and I had taken 2 decent channels 5 and 6 lbs but no pics, so we then headed back towards the ramp and fished a few more spots to where I took a 7 lb flattie, and then Nate hookd what we both thought was a decent flattie but was supprised when he pulled it up and it was his PB River Blue at 10+ Lbs!! He was totally stoked!!!

[​IMG]

we ended the day on that note and were very happy to have had a good day on the water, I sure wished it was tourney day.....:sad2:

All fish released to see another day and I believe we had 12 fish in the boat with the best 5 going around 68 lbs, 2 blues, 3 channels and 7 flatties. We both caught the Ohio River trifecta today so that was another bonus.

All fish on fresh shad and the water was around 59 degrees and were caught from 5 to 45 ft deep.

Salmonid

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2009
  2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    that big blue looks like the one i lost this morning:big_smile::big_smile: wrapped him up in my drift sock :sad2: and had him on my little bass rod ,he snapped the line when i tried to drag him in:angry:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the PB brother! Great fish

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Hey thanks for the story and all the good pic's:cool2:

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
  6. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice fish, sounds like you really had to work to land the PB blue!

7. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Congrats on your new PB !!!!!!

8. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    congrats on the PB there Mark

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good job keep on them.Good job on the hog1

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Great job guys! That 14 lb flathead looks bigger than 14. Did all of those fish come from that log stack there?

11. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice fish brother:big_smile:

12. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice job guys and Congrats Mark on the PB!

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys! and James, no, only the flathead pictured came from that spot, only hit we got there, I was trying to thnk and I believe we hit 14-15 different spots yesterday, 15 minutes at each spot and move......only got like 1 fish at any given spot I think. Looking for active fish.

Salmonid

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Of corse the fish were not caught @ those locations right? You were throwing everyone off for the tournament on Saturday right? :smile2::wink:

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    great job way to go:big_smile:

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    what a gold fish:crazy:

17. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Congrats on your trip guys. Good pics.

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    it was a lot of fun. Thanks again for getting me out on the boat again mark:big_smile:

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like a fun trip.. Thanks for sharing,, and Congrats :smile2:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the PB, and great fish! :big_smile: rollo