Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got out last night for the second time this year at clinton, with the ramp under water we had a tough time to say the least getting the boat off the trailer, i think i hit every thing there was to hit before we got to deep water (guard rails, hand rails, street signs, who the hell knows) we set up about 2 miles upstream at the mouth small tributary, about an hour later i landed my first flattie of the evening, thinking it might be the spot, we sat there another couple hours when all of a sudden shane though my line hooked a log floating down stream, with the rod doubling in half i get it out of the holder and it was on.
here is where i need some help, i had no decent scales with me, but the fish was 42'' long with a huge belly, roughly what would the weight be on a fish like this???

here is a couple pics from the evening.

· Registered
866 Posts
Nice fish I would guess that fish at 35-40. If you take a girth there is a formula to get weight. I have used it several times in conjunction with scales and every time it has been within a pound. You will have to look it up but I believe it is (length times girth times girth divided by 480). Hope this helps in the future.

· Registered
866 Posts
Nice fish I would guess that fish at 35-40. If you take a girth there is a formula to get weight. I have used it several times in conjunction with scales and every time it has been within a pound. You will have to look it up but I believe it is (length times girth times girth divided by 480). Hope this helps in the future.
Actually the number you divide by is not 480 it is instead 800. So if that fish was 42 inches long with a 32 in girth the weight would be 41.16#

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys, and if you were curious, yes, all catfish are cpr'ed.
rick, i have to agree, i'v caught enough 30 to 40lb fish to know that thing was closer to 50, if not over...in my opinion, but hey, whats it matter, as long as it was landed and a new pb was acheived, and it swam away to be the next state record....

· Registered
866 Posts
Man I have know idea what the girth was, all I was doing is giving you the formula and said weight has been right on with the scales. Generally when a person holds a fish out in front of his body it makes it look bigger, so I took that into account, with the length. Wasnt trying to nock your fish a nice one.

· Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shane, man dude, i didnt take it that you were knocking my fish, hell i appreciate all the replies, thats why i was asking for input. i havent caught that many blues to know what the weight was, it may have only been 35# i'l never know for sure of any weights on fish til i find a good reliable set of scales, been through several kinds and every time i put one of my ten lb cannon balls on them they are no where close.
after being a plumber for 28yrs and carying thousands of 40# bags of water softener salt, i have a pretty good judgment of up to 40#, beyond that is totaly a guess. looks like i need to get me a cloth tape measure to get some girth measurments and try the formula given for weight.
thanks for all the replies, and the spell check on my original title of...nu pb blu...lol... i realy do know how to spell.

· Registered
327 Posts
First off that's a really nice fish. Looks like 50 pounds to me. But I don't know. I do know this. We have caught one fish at 42 inch this year that went 36 pounds and a 45 inch fish that went 40 pounds even. But believe both of them to be males so no eggs to make them weigh more. your fish actually looks longer then both of the ones we caught. And it does have a gut which our's did not. So I would guess real close to 50 but probably wouldn't go over that just because... :) If you go over 50 it's a fish tale... LOL.. :)
BB

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.