New PB Big Pee Dee 8/12/'09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, the storm came in about noon as I slept from the previous night, and was gone by late afternoon. It looked like it would be a pretty good night to fish. We decided to put in at Society Hill, and not go but a few miles from the landing, just in case the storm fired back up. The night started like most any other. The tarp covering my enclosure came loose and almost blew off. We stopped and fixed that. About two minutes later, my new Gamakatsu cap blew off my head and into the river. Fortunately we got back to it before it sunk! We proceeded down river to a known deep hole and commenced to fishin' with a bag of cut American shad. Didn't get a nibble, so we eased back up river to a locally famous "secret" flathead hole. Had a MAJOR NUTROLL en route during the 1/4 mile move up river. As darkness was upon us, my vision was poor and a snag grabbed one of my 6500TC Abu Garcia/American Spirit Nite Stick combos and snatched it into 17 feet of murky depths before I could bat an eye! I was undaunted, and not upset in the least as it was my fault the hook was danglin'. Lesson learned at a $120 expense. As we eased into the flathead zone, arches were showing up everywhere on the machine, and some big arches at that. We decided to use the ten fresh bream I had saved from the previous trip the night before. We put the baits (fresh heads) out on the nine rods I had left and waited, and waited, and waited. Just as everyone was dozing off, we heard a commotion with drag being taken out! kyelkhunter3006 was late, and his dad, 62 year old Vietnam veteran Clayton, rushed to lay claim on the bounty at the other end of the rod. After a fine fight, he landed his new PB flattie at 24#. I know, after such a story y'all were expecting a 75#er, but we'll take what we can get, especially being a PB. So in two days with my BOC brothers from KY, they got two PBs. The 17 1/2# blue night before last was kyelkhunter3006's PB, and then dad got his PB last night. BTW: As odd as it seems, that was the ONLY bite we got last night. Hard to figure with all the fish that showed up on the machine. The water temp had dropped from 88 the previous night, to 83 last night. With the rain we had, and the water turned loose at Blewitt Falls, the water was also muddy, which might have contributed to the lack of bite. We had a great two nights on the water. Here are a couple of pics of Clayton's new PB flattie.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Way to go Bill!!! Hope those guys had a good time fishing with ya!! You comin to santee in Sept.? We'll be there with bells a ringing.....till then stay safe.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great story, great fish. Congrats

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll BE there, Wesley! Thanks, Shane!

BB in SC

5. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Bill you got a gift at telling how the fish was caught. I was so into the story that it didn't really matter how big the fish was.

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Nice fish way to go guys!! Two pbs thats great!!:cool2:

7. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratulations on the personal bests.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, Gator. I been puttin' everyone else on PBs all year. January 2nd, I baited the first one up of the season, threw it out, and set it in the rod holder. I had taken a friend who doesn't fish often. Got a smackdown and he picked up the reel and brought in a 51 pound blue. Well, it was caught on MY boat! :wink: Time for ol' BB to get a new PB! But wait, if I recall correctly, the 40+# blue I caught Saturday was a PB for me on that species. I ain't countin' it though as my scale was broken and I must have an accurate weight measurement for it to be official.

BB

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Great report, Bill! And thanks for helping out our KY bro's! :smile2:

10. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    WTG Bill and Crew,nice flattie for a PB,hopefully they enjoyed their time in SC:wink:

11. teamstorm300

teamstorm300 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is two really close relatives of mine. I kept getting text messages on how they were doing. Looks like they did pretty good and had a good time. Hopefully next time I will be with them. Nice pictures and a good story to go with the second night!

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice fish Bill

13. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Bill,that is one of the most enjoying moments in fishing...knowing you helped a guy catch his biggest fish.Congrats,and as always your stories of the trips are great.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gary Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Sounds like yopu missed a great trip[. That Bill know his stuff. Get that calendar marked for next year.

Congrats Bill and crew on the story and trip. Nice PB Flathead.

15. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Welcome Gary to the BOC....

Bill I have to agree with "gotta go" you sure can tell a story....heck it might have been so well told that I gotta pretty good idea where to find a nice rod...:wink::eek:oooh:...Nice going, and congrats on the PB's...