New PB at Lake Shawnee

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by MR SANDMAN 800, May 8, 2008.

1. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was trying to catch bluegill today on an ultralight outfit w/ 4lb test, but wasn't having any luck. Caught a couple crappie but none were very big. I was jigging a 1" plastic grub alongside a dock in about 6 feet of water when I felt a bite and set the hook. The drag started singing. I had no idea what was on the end of the line, it sure wasn't a bluegill though.:0a1: I fought the fish for about 2 minutes before getting it worn out enough to be landed. It ended up being the biggest rainbow trout I've seen in person. I'm bad at guessing weights, but I'd estimate the weight at 5-6 lbs. I'll upload the pictures later when I get them on the computer.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats a nice trout! Im suprised that you can still catch them this late. Congratulations!

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Congrats man. With all the cold weather we have had I bet the Rainbows are enjoying it. I see though you are having he same luck I am with catching bluegill I went out for 2 hours on Sunday and no luck, so I gave up.

4. MR SANDMAN 800

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys! Welp, I got them on the computer but it's saying the pics are too big. I'll work on downsizing them tomorrow. You're right about the rainbows Dan, I hear people have been catching quite a few of them lately. Hopefully the bluegill decide to cooperate, tired of getting skunked trying to catch bait :crazy:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great fish, Congrats.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Jamie...... i resize by first putting them on my myspace then i "copy" them to my desktop then load em on the BOC from my desktop

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Great fish Jamie!! Sounds like a fun workout!

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Congrat on the pb. This is the site I use to downsize my pics. It is quick and easy like JJ.lol :smile2: http://lunapic.com/editor/

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good fish Jamie...

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Sounds like a nice fish, even though I have never even seen a rainbow trout. I am sure it was a surprise expecting a gill. I caught 27 gills last night in an hour. I caught 30 last week in about the same amount of time. 2-3 ft of water in reed beds has been best for me.

11. MR SANDMAN 800

State:
    Kansas
    Here are a couple pics of the fish and one of what he did to the hook! :crazy: Was trying to get some sun out there yesterday :wink:

Fishing wasn't too bad today either. Caught a nice smallmouth about 3 pounds, a few other bass, and one crappie.

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Damm Jamie remind me not to take my shirt off when your around.:embarassed:
    My six pack is all lumped into one,:angry:sorty looks more like a keg.:crazy:

13. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Kinda surprising that you caught it at the west boat ramp. That is the first Rainbow that I have heard that was caught down that way normally they are at the other ramp and cove and the dam area.

14. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Great job there.

15. MR SANDMAN 800

State:
    Kansas
    Doggone it Tom, this keg talk is making me thirsty and it's only 8am :big_smile:

It was down at the south boat ramp Dan. Figured it would be a good bet for some bluegill, definitely a surprise to hook up w/ that

16. MR SANDMAN 800

State:
    Kansas
    Pretty good day today. Got finals all done at school then headed to the lake. Caught some crappie and a bass. Then caught a couple bluegill, the first bluegill of the year for me. Both looked like they were full of eggs. Then on the last cast of the day I hooked into a flathead on the same setup the trout was caught on, only difference was the grub was yellow. I was fishing off of a concrete pier with about a 2ft drop into the water. Grabbed the fish in the lip but couldn't get a good grip because it kept rolling. So I decided to pull the line with my hand to get the fish up onto the pier. Bad idea, the hook came out after the fish was about 3/4 of the way out of the water. My first flathead ever and first cat of the year, very dark color to him and weighed about 3lbs. :big_smile:

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I feel your pain brother. If I'd lost that flat---it would have been a lot bigger than 3 pounds.

I was there today for the maiden voyage of TITANIC JR.. Caught a 15" largemouth--3 decent male crappie--and a huge bluegill. I was also spooled by a Blue Heron!!

18. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Ok Mark, we need to know the story on the Blue Heron!!

19. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jamie congrats on the trout and I agree with you I have caught trowt before but I believe thats the biggest one I have seen, congrats on your catch and good luck to you on the rest of your fishing trips

20. johank

johank New Member

State:
    CA
    Really nice fish Jamie, keep up the good work!