New PB and in September to boot!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by johnliester, Sep 20, 2007.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I took the last weekend and most of the week to deer hunt here in Ks. Muzzleloader season. Anyway, had church, and other family obligations Sunday so couldn't hunt. We got home around 9:30 in the evening and my son asks me if I'll take him and his gf to the lake fishing. I thought, why not? We loaded up the rods and cooler and headed tp the lake. Then had to rush back home for bait. Oops! Anyway we were using shrimp for bait. At around 10:30 I landed a 4 pound channel. I thought that was cool. Ten minutes later another one. Even better now!. Anyway after a half an hour or so my bell just kind of dinged real lightly. I turned on my flashlight to see my rod double over in the holder, and line was being taken. I grabbed hold and hung on. At first I thought I'd hooked into a huge snapper as this lake is loaded with them. But then I heard splashing. Hollered for my son to come help hold the light. He came running and turned on the light just as I got the fish to shore. A giant channel!!!! Had my son hold the rod while I bailed off of the bank and got him. Fish weighed an even 17 lbs!!! Biggest channel I have ever landed in my life. We kept fishing for a while longer, catching another small one. The another big bite! Fought this one for about 15 minutes and wouldn't you know it, The line snapped. talk about dissapointed!! Joe and I talked it over and decided to just head home. Spent t5he next 2 days chasing deer, but that's another story.
    Thanks for letting me share my story. I have a feeling I'll be back there this saturday trying it again. Good luck to all, John

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Good Story John 17 pounds is a huge channel. Now go catch the one that got away.

3. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Congrats on your PB John, and thanks for the story!:big_smile:Good luck brother!!

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats John, on your new PB Channel Cat Those Big Channels Sure are a Blast. Keep up the Good Work And Thanks For The Story.

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Thats really neet thanks for sharing!!!
    CJ

6. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    WOW!! Very impressive!

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    would the line that broke be the same line that cought the 17#er? retying after a big fish or several good size fish is a good idea, it keeps the heartbreak of the line snapping down to a minimum.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice catch ,,Congratz

9. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the new PB and thanks for sharing the story!

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the PB, thats a whopper!!:cool2:

11. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's a good story. Sounds like a magical trip that you'll remember for a long time to come !!:big_smile:

Of course, I noticed you didn't say what lake you caught it on, or where on the lake ?? Must be your secret honey-hole, I guess.:embarassed:

Wish we could see some pictures of him.

Best wishes on an even bigger one in the future !!!:roll_eyes:

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    good story I hate it when they break the line but it always keeps you coming back for more

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks John for a neat story and a great fish. Thanks for sharing. That shrimp is a good bait and even better if soaked in garlic. Good Luck.

14. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    No, it was a different rod that the line broke on. I'm using Shimano Corsairs on ugly stick rods, with 15 lb stren. And after the line break, I just switched them all out so they're all ready to go tomorrow night!! I'd soak my shrimp in garlic but beaing as I'm allergic to garlic, that's a big no-no!

15. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Mickey==Do you crush garlic to soak them in or what. I'm NOT allergic to garlic, and will take any edge I can get. It got scary last night; I was only about 5 minutes from a SKUNKIN!!

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you dont want a skunk dig for green worms and look around for some striped frogs

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx Brandon. I'm not allergic to green worms either, but I am allergic to throwing up. Those are some FOUL smelling creatures. Just in case though--where could I find some when it's this dry??

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    usually the best place for me to find them is next to a verry small stream that feeds the river. maybe not even that just some were were its usually moist next to the river

19. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas
    Which lake did you catch them out of? great catch!:crazy:

20. josh caudill

josh caudill New Member

State:
    kentucky,hartford
    Congrats on PB thats a big channel!