New Palomar??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigkat7698, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    I was at Gander Mt. in Bowling Green, Ky. yesterday and a gentleman by the name of Bob Belew (professional fisherman) was there taking questions and general BS'n so he and I started talking about braided line which lead into talking knots and he showed me a new knot called the triple palomar. This may be old news but I had never heard of it the only difference is you bring the loop back through the hook eye 3 times instead of once. You can probably google it and find some pics or diagrams he said that spider wire had came up with it because with braid it cinch's up so tight it cuts it's self and this would prevent it??? Take a look at it and give your opinions...Thanks Jason

2. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Spider Wire came up with it? Hmmmm, guess we'll ignore the fact that I have been doing double and triple p's for years now chasing lunge lol. For the record, a triple p and 50# braid was strong enough to bring in what I guessed to be an 80 lb. stump lol

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I guess I question if looping it 3 times is any more of an advantage. Just looping in once locks it in nicely, at least to my thinking. Personally I haven't had any problems with the regular palomar.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

It,s listed in any good knot book.You gotta be careful though,I,ve tried the double and triple palomar,but it,s tricky getting them to cinch up good without binding on the heavier lb test braids.I,ve straightened out 7/0 eagle claws with steady pressure trying to get em out of snags(why I use Mustad 92671,s now),the regular palomar held,that,s good enough for me.IMO-learning to tie good knots should be the first thing anyone new should learn til it,s second nature.For 99% of my fishing I get by fine with just the palomar for terminal connections and the back to back uni-knots for joining line.You,ve got all your time,money,tacle,and effort tied up in trying to get that BIG one,if you got one weak connection between you and the fish,the whole effort goes for naught.I can,t guarantee many things,but I will guarantee you won,t land big fish with bad knots!:wink:

5. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Welcome to the site.

Glad to see another local to the site.

As stated before, knots are the first thing you have to learn when fishing. The best tackle in the world will get you nowhere if you have a bad knot.

6. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Click here.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason thanks for sharing the knot info and Welcome to the BOC.:0a22::0a25::0a25:

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Good site. I have a short cut to it on my desk top and a spool of line by my computer to practice.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jason I just use a regular palomar knot. Jason, Welcome to the BOC.

10. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what do you guess think of snelling your hooks. I learned how to do it afew years ago and i seem to get good hook sets and usually do get any breaks or snaps. That tends to be my knot of choice.

11. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I personally snell all of my hooks. I use a palomar knot for everything else. The snelled hook just gives me more confidence and I think it is a strong connection.

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like that... that's cool... :big_smile: