New Paint Job

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tntitans21399, Feb 12, 2008.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am going to give my old boat a paint job since it needs and give it a new fresh new look. I have read different articles about how to get the boat ready for painting and painting it. My question is, how much paint do I need? I own a old 1972 16ft Terry Bass Boat. My boat's bottom is white, and top part is green, and I'm still thinking about if I want to keep it that color scheme or change it. But I was trying to figure out if I keep it the same how much paint would I need for the top and then how much for the bottom?

Then my second question is how is the best way to paint the area where the guide rails are? My only guess right now is when I take the boat out, take the guide rails off and load the boat without them, paint (when boat is dry, paint entire boat), then next trip put the guide rails back on.

Attached Files:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Personally, I don't see enough wrong with the boat from the photos to warrant another paint job. Why not just get an automotive polisher and put some rubbing compound on the surface, followed by a good marine polish. I know it is a lot of work but probably bring out the color better than a new paint job.

3. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It looks better in the pics then in person.

I haven't thought about rubbing compound. I'll look into that, Thanks.

4. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    try some newglass2 before you paint.. you can write him on his website and he will send you a sample..if you want ill pm you the website