New P.B. Monster Flathead

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by john catfish young, Apr 23, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What a night we had last night. The weather was beautiful and the Lake was like a sheet of glass. We began arriving around 2:00 pm and found the skipjacks willing to jump on the hook. The Bluegils however were playing hard to get. But as the sun began to set...the Bluegils gave in and we quickly caught enough good sized gils to fish all night. We were visited by several old friends and had a good time of B.S. and what have you. It was sometime around 9:30 pm...we set out a fresh Bluegil on a float...it wasn't out but about 5 minutes when all of a sudden click.....click....click...VAROOOM. The sound of a screaming clicker kinda took us by surprise. I didn't have the video camera ready! As we got down to the pole... it was mine that we had just set out. I grabbed the pole and flipped off the clicker and set the hook. The fight was on. It took several minutes to get the fish in and by this time I was in a full sweat! The fish was netted by lilgriz and weighed by the Flathead Guru himself Griz. The fish weighed 43.10 lbs. and is my new Personal best Flathead! While the pictures were being taken and the fish being weighed.... High fives and Low rebel yells filled the night air. The fish was quickly returned to the waters from which it came. After carefully placing the fish back in the lake....it gave out a big burp of air...and immediately swam off like it had better places to be! The whole CPR only took about 90 seconds. It is nights like these that make it all worth while. Shortly afterwards the large orange moon came over the trees and coyotes howled in the distance. The grill was lit and we enjoyed some fine 1/2 lb cheeseburgers and some good cajun sausage prepared by lilgriz. With our bellies full and such a fine evening...we sat and fished the night away. Sometime in the weeee hours of the morning as our eyes began to close....we turned in for a little "catnap". We got up several times to check the poles regularly. At daylight the sounds of Turkeys Gobblin and owls hooting could be heard as we enjoyed some fine fresh coffee. For breakfast we cooked buttermilk bisquits in the dutch oven and enjoyed some hot sausage gravy and eggs fried over easy. Breakfast never tasted better to me! And as I sat there in my chair finishing my coffee I looked up to the sky and gave thanks in my own quite way...And was treated to the beauty of "OUR" Bald Eagle soaring overhead. I don't know about you all...but it just doesn't get any better than this for me. Sometime in the afternoon we will get the pictures posted and a new Avatar for me. So until then If you need me.... I'll be on cloud nine...just look up! So until next week when we hope to do it all over again... I'll catch ya later...........Is it Tuesday yet??? For the those of you who have never fished in the Land Between the Lakes in western Kentucky...it is absolutely beautiful. We get together every Tuesday and fish all night. We enjoy fine foods....fine friends and some pretty good fishing from time to time. There is an open invitation to BOC members. You can get in touch with me or Griz or lilgriz for directions.:wink::cool2::smile2:

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Congrats on the new PB. That is a monster Flathead!

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Way to be John!

Getting a new PB is always exciting.

Sounds like a great overnight for you guys.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratualtions on a great fish and a wonderful night. Thanks for the great write-up. I was right there with you enjoying the night on the water annd all!

I'm looking forward to the picture!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats on your new pb John.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Congrats on your new pb, nice story too.....

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    congrats on your new pb

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Gave me chills reading that... It don't get no better my friends....

Congrats on the PB, beautiful one

9. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    congrats on the new P.B. Great fish

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
  11. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    MAN MAN what a way to spend the night. I only wish I could have been there. Congrats on a big fish and a great time. Sounds like the food was good to. Post the pictures soon.

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on your P.B flathead glad to hear you caught a good one, I think this year will probably be one of the best fishing years that we have had in a long time, glad to hear you done good, hopefully you will have plent of more monster fish heading your way before the year is over with, I bet that fish put up one heck of a fight.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John thanks for sharing your fishing trip with us. Congrats on your new Pb flathead.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you dog you sorry dog you could have just posted the weight and let it go but no you had to throw in supper and breakfast to.why do you tuesday night redtails always find ways to make the rest of us envious.waiting for fall pickwick.o yea congrats on a beautiful fish john.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on your new PB Flattie!!!:wink::big_smile:

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Sounds like 1 heck of a time.If I start working the rigs again I will have to get with you guys sometime.Griz already said to come on down :big_smile:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man o man! What a great story and PB!! Sounds just like I like to do it. I had a very good last two days also! Reading your story just brought my adrenalin level back up from a few hours ago on the river! Thanks for sharing it!
    Bill in SC

18. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    a better script couldn't have been written in hollywood.

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats on your new PB flathead !

20. Pappy B

Pappy B Guest

Sounds like an awsome night.Congrates on you PB.
    Pappy B.:big_smile: