New or Used Motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Captain Kilowatt, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Hey Gang. I recently aquired a McKee Classic 14' in great condition. It is bare bones with no seats, console etc which is actually how I prefer it since it's all open to move around in without any hinderance. My problem is that I'd like to find a 40 or 50HP tiller motor for it and not having much luck. I live in the middle of where Katrina hit so I am rather weary of buying used since it may have been submerged. Not to mention I can't find anything anyways. I was just wondering if you'd buy a new motor for it or continue to look for a good used one. Thanks and great fishing.

2. Captain Kilowatt

State:
    mississippi
    Surely someone at least has an opinion on what they'd do. I can afford a new motor but just not sure if it's feasable to spend that much when I can probably get a complete rig for what the motor would cost. Of course I'd have a motor I wouldn't have to worry about and not taking a chance on buying someone elses headache. I can't decide which route to take.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would go with a new one and then later if I wanted to upgrade the boat then you will still have a motor that you know what the condition is.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I would too if I could afford it. You can upgrade boats and not have to worry about a motor for it.

ST

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If I could afford it I'd buy a new one. I'd be pretty weary of a lot of the used ones in your area.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a reconditioned 93 Yamaha that runs like a new one. I have 3 grand in it and a new one would have costed 10K plus. I say get the best thing you can afford. if you go with a used one...know the history and get it checked out before purchase.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If you go used have a compression check done on it.

8. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You always take a chance buying used, unless you know the seller personally. I recently found a business online that sold me a good used 20 hp mercury. It was in unbelieveable condition, and everything they claimed it to be. It is an even 125 on both cylinders. It was bought for a backup motor, and rarely used by the previous owner. I was a little nervous at first about buying online, but these guys have a very good reputation. From time to time, they have something extra nice, along with fish camp motors, and new motors. Check them out at AFA Marine, or Used outboard motors. com. Good fishin', Jack.

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm not familiar with the McKee Classic boat,but I would check to see what the maximum size motor that is recommended for that boat. Seems to me a 40 or 50 HP may be a little big for a 14' boat.

10. Captain Kilowatt

State:
    mississippi
    The recommended HP is 50 with 65 being the max. The minimum is 25 but I'm a big guy and I would like to be able to get on a plane lol.

11. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What is the hull material, width, and height of the sides on that 14' boat. Many years ago I fished out of a Skeeter 15 ft bassboat with a 150hp merc w/stainless steel prop. The guy that owned it is a tv celebrity, and has been for close to 30 years. I got a big laugh when on his show, he gave a safety lecture about boats, and speeding. Talking about the pot calling the kettle black! Every bend we hit in the river that day, the boat bounced sideways a least three times before catching, and going full throttle again. Now don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer in being extra safe on the water, and the older I get the more I believe. An accident can happen in the blink of an eye, and all the speed in the world ain't no fun if you are dead, paralyzed, or some one else is now that way because of it. Take care, and good fishin', Jack.

12. Captain Kilowatt

State:
    mississippi
    I really appreciate all the great advise. The boat is a very heavy fiberglass tri-hull. The beam is 5'7" and fully loaded drafts 7". They are known for being just like Boston Whalers in that they are unsinkable and very similar in looks. The guy I bought it from had an 80HP on it which is definitely over powered but he loved it. He said at WOT turning sharply the boat will not skid but will turn. He took it way out in the Gulf of Mexico fishing. I don't have any intentions of doing all that but the "preferred" HP is 50. I'd put a 40 on it if I can find one but I want one of those two sizes. I don't care about being speed demon but at the same time I need it to be powered to do what I need it to do under all conditions.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For it's size,it is a great open stable fishing or utility boat.Easy clean up with a water hose and a brush.I believe the sliding board seats in mine were made of Teak in the one that I had.Heavy.Made like the "Boston Whalers"of the time.Mine was just too small for my growing family.If I could afford it,I would go with the new motor.Take care of it.Warm it up slowly each time,cruise at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle according to your load and the motor will last like the boat.FOREVER!You can pass it along to your descendants.peewee-williams