New option for bass fishing?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by TexasCatfish, Apr 6, 2006.

1. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wasn't actually sure where to put this. I was at lake Grapevine yesterday and was throwing for shad in Twin Coves. I wasn't having all that much luck catching any except a few small ones. I was standing on a rock and threw directly to my left a few feet out and while pulling the net in, I saw a big flash in it, and though, "Man, that was a big shad." I pulled the net up and flopped it on the bank, and apon further inspection, I came to realize that it was not in fact a shad, but a bass close to 6 pounds when I weighed it. I've caught a fair share of smaller bass, gar, and catfish in my nets, but never anything that sizeable. Heck, it was the biggest bass I've ever caught. :p

2. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I caught a close to 2lb crappie in my net one time, the biggest one I've seen in person. I didn't feel right catching him like that though, so I threw him back along with all the other crappie I always catch throwing the net.

3. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    thats cool CONGRADS maybe next time you will catch big catfish

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I feed my catfish in my pond and when they come up to eat i throw a net on them just for fun. lol

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sounds like he got caught up chasing after those shad you were catching...

6. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I have also caught some decent size fish in my castnet, but through them all back.

1) Just not right to catch them that way
    2) Illegal in Ohio to catch them that way.

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    TX cat, with it being the first of April and you living in TX, I would say that bass was on a bed. You could probably walk down the bank with a pair of polarized glasses on and see lots of them. If they are bedding, you should take a rod with you next time your catching bait. A soft plastic in a bed = a lot of fun.

8. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just to clarify things, I threw him back. :p