New opening day for trout

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by delawareriver, Jan 24, 2007.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    what do you think of the new opening day of trout fishing system. 18 counties in the southeast part of the state will get a 2 week jump on the season. i live in northampton county which is the most north county in the early start. i love the idea that i will be able to fish earlier in the season since it normaly gets warm real fast in this part of the state which slows down the trout in mid may. so now we have all of april to have prime fishing. on the other hand especialy living on a county on the border im afraid that many streams will be crowded with people from other counties wanting to get a jump on the season meaning even more crowds on streams that were crowded to begin with. what feeling do you guys have on this new sysytem?

2. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I believe if you are right on the edge you will get the yahoos out there... but just go to a better (far away) spot and that will weed them out. Most of the people down outside of Philly (where I am) will fish for that weekend and then hang it up. Most of those people won't even know that they can fish early this year.

I prefer to go to this one stream that is about a 45 minute drive from me on opening day, always the same area and never many people around. After that I usually spend some time up north near Lock Haven and have some fun up there.

Long story short, I like the earlier start.

3. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea i also like the stream i fish at. its a pretty popular stream down stream but besides opening day its pretty quiet stream. even on opening day if you dont fish a big hole you will proably have a smaller hole all to yourself. the week after i only see one or two guys there and 2 or 3 weeks after the opener i have the stream to myself most nights. i like the challege of fish that have been fished for before to so thats the best time of year for me. if your ever up this way ill show you the monocacy. even has some natives and ive caught a 28 inch 9# beast plus 2 other trout that were over 20 inchs and countless trout in the 19-15 inch range out it. i think last year alone i had 17 fish in that 19-15 inch range including one golden rainbow. not bad for a quiet stream that is about 10 foot wide in alot of spots

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    its a good idea biologically but if we didnt already have enough dim wits on the water with us, now we're gonna have out of area people to contend with. this is why I rarely fish opening day.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Yeah, you guys out east will have much bigger crowds to deal with now on opening day of Trout. Then again you all can travel west and have another opening day two weeks later! It don't matter much to me. I'm not driving that far to fish in a crowd. I'll wait for my regular opening day over in the western part of the state. I spend more time cooking food, hanging out around the fire and BSing with my buddies than I do fishing on first day! I view it as a social event not a serious day to fish.