New Old Reel

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Lynne, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I have to come up with a new shelf design. This month has been a lucky month for me. First I was given a shop stool and npw my sister in law gave me a brand new old Shakespeare Spincast Reel. It is in the box it was shipped in and the Sahkespeare box. All the papers are with it and the shipping bos is post marked Feb 8 1979. I new it was an older model because the label on the box was yellowed and the reel is all metal and made in the USA.

I know it is no collectors item but I am going to put it next to my old fishing gear or my grandfathers and dads. The reel has never been used. I guess the people who gave it to my sister in law opened it and looked at it and that was all.

Attached Files:

2. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Here are a few more pictures of the reel. Anyone have any ideas on what the shelf should look like. I was thinking of making one with a brown or black reel in the back.

Attached Files:

3. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I forgot, does anyone have any ideas on how to hold the reel on the shelf without damaging the paint finish.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    yeah you are having a streak of luck i like old reels myself they kind of have character , just something about old reels i like ,as far as attaching the reel to the shelf could you route a groove have the reel sitting in the groove? just a thought might not be the best thing

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I think a nice wooden base w/ a plexiglass box around it and a red felt bottom would be nice. jmo

6. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Both good ideas. I think I will use both your ideas. I will make the box for the shelf and route a groove to hold the real. Thank you Stone and Wildcat, I just couldn't come up with any ideas.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice old reel :cool2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for bringing back old memories. I had one of those reels. Caught many fish on it and don't remember where it went.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Lynne, you could also mount it on a rod butt, like bass pro does with their display reels. wouldn't be hard, and an old rod that needs to retire is always easy to find.

10. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I like all the ideas so far. I have an old rod out in the shop someplace, well look as soon as the temp cools off a little. It's been hotter than blazes here in Texas this summer.

It has been so hot that I noticed a white spot on one of the small red ants walking across the porch. When i looked closer I could see it was a small white rag the little guy was wiping his forehead with.:wink:

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Lynne, you could make a display box something like the picture I had attached that way you could display the paper work on the back as a back drop so to speak.

Attached Files:

12. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Dave, That's really a good idea. It uses all three of the good ideas that have been given. I was trying to think of a way to show the paper work, the box and the reel. Thanks, I will get started on it right away.