Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sons car crapped on him so I drive him to work til it’s fixed( hopefully) lot of miles but hey ,I’m retirEd.
in the process I pass by my friends used stuff store and saw some salt water rods outside.so I stop to look( we know where that goes!) anyway,a Penn 155 with a 6’6” heavy rod goes home for $20.00,spent the some of the last 24 hours cursing and learning to put it back together( taking it apart is easy,by the way!) not losing the dog spring is hard,lost it three times -tension headache at midnight,I actually lost it the first time before I knew what it looked like or was,I only knew something went flying! It is now ,after 3 try’s ,back all together and working right,and I have my rookies credentials as a Penn mechanic.I may buy another at that price! This one is pre 1957 and in perfect shape now,two pictures are after clean,lube and inspection.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive tire Wood Gas
Tire Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Tread
Wood Musical instrument Flooring Body jewelry Jewellery
Musical instrument Wood String instrument accessory Coil Audio equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No it’s a right hand,at least ,that’s how I see it,I wonder since it has no level wind,if your a left handed,is it as simple as just turning the reel around on the pole and getting used to the controls that way? I never thought of that,being ,of course,correctly and rightfully right handed!lol ,I tried it and everything works backward to me ,but isnt that the essence of being left handed? ( not to be backwards ,mind you,but to be REVERSED,NOT DIFFERENT,MIND YOU,Just doing it in a manner of your own way)….Please forgive me lefthanders of the forums..I don’t look at you as left handed friends but as friends who handle things uhh…in thier own way!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you turn it around the line would have to come off the bottom of the spool for the drag to function in any way...which would cause the line to rub under pressure against one the cross bars...that's a recipe for a popped line and lost fish

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You can fish with a 155, but it's a rigging reel. Wish they were left handed.
I have 3 since 2003 with extra spools.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you it did seem too simple,I am also ignorant on a lot of terminology on these,Canebreaker,if you please explain the term “Rigging Reel” ? I be also heard the term “Squidder” which seems to be self explanatory,but I assume used for squid and they seem to be hard on a reel as it was said a 155 isn’t really strong enough.I have some l,earning to do.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
“Rigging Reel” planner boards, outriggers, cannon ball sinkers. The bait line without a sinker went to a large reel like a Senator. The bait line would release with a strike from a fish. The “Rigging Reel” would be reeled in and out of the way to battle the big catch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kinda have an idea now ,I have zero experience with fishing from boats except my canoe and my Jon boat after that my experience runs to navy ships.lol however I guess this allows running several lines off to either side of a craft and away from the stern wake.?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see now I expressed my ignorance again when mentioning “squidders” upon further research i see they were named for the type of lure and the technique of fishing it ( a heavy tin or lead lure used with a rapid retrieve) in my ignorance I assumed they were for catching squid, my apologies!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
No worries...there's too many reels out there for anybody to know everything 😂😂😂

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,540 Posts
I can see now I expressed my ignorance again when mentioning “squidders” upon further research i see they were named for the type of lure and the technique of fishing it ( a heavy tin or lead lure used with a rapid retrieve) in my ignorance I assumed they were for catching squid, my apologies!
I thought the same thing, thanks for this!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw my friend again and he had a squiider for $60 ,however,this Sqidder was a Squidder WITHOUT an anti reverse lockout switch ,so I walked on that one because the switch was what I wanted,I will wait awhile any way ,unless I find one at a ridiculous low price.,he had two Senators from the same estate for $100.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I've seen stock squidders go for 40-60 regularly on ebay...they're really common so primarily only the rarer variants or tricked out ones go for high dollars

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was under the impression that all Squidders had the anti reverse lockout switch (A.R.L.S.) as a standard item until I saw this one. I would have grabbed it if I had extra cash maybe. The (A.R.L.S.) would have been a motivator.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would stick with the 155 for now. They are great general purpose type of reels. I've been using the smaller 180 lately off my kayak fishing for croaker etc. You really can't beat the simplicity. If it has a plastic spool, I'd suggest running some braid or Dacron line on it and then filling the rest with mono. I usually fish them with 20lb big game.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I reeled it with 20 lb flouro,Berkly Trilene 100% “ professional”( I’m not really a professional )but it seems to be good line.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts