new old dog

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by tigger_tat_55, Jan 10, 2007.

1. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

I have run into a bit of an issue. I had planned to get a trained lab this spring. I hunt dove and quail. I dont really need the dog to do more than retrieve. any way I will try to make this short.

yesterday I was told of a 2 yr old blk lab that was to go to the pound. the history of the dog was/is he has lived outside with little or no training. his human contact was limited to feeding which I found was not as often as it should be. I went to have a look and came home with him. He is friendly but ill behaved. he is not trained at all. I dont care if he becomes a hunting dog. I could not leave him to go to the pound.
    I would like to at least get him house trained and socialized.

here is my problem. I have no clue how to train a 2 yr old dog. I have two other dogs but have had both of them from pups. the lab gets along with them.

any help would be great.

Thanks

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I am by no means a professional, or even remotely knowledgeable about this....

That being said, I can only tell you what I do know. I had a dog for 15 years growing up and he was my best friend. My kid sister got a new pup during the last few months of my dog's life and believe it or not. It was the older dog that taught the new pup how to take care of the family.

You would see them following eachother around, you noticed the pup starting to act like the older dog and learn the ropes!

My guess is that since the new lab gets along with the other dogs, you will see a drastic change in behaviors. It may take a little time and some TLC but never let anyone tell you that you can not teach an old dog new tricks because they are lieing to you!

Best of luck, and keep me posted!

3. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hi there,

well we made it thur the first night. yota, felt the need to start diging out of the yard at 12 and then at three. he also wanted to howl most of the night.

he was still in the yard when i got home from work. I went out to toss the ball for my other dog and yota just looked at us like we were dumb. so far it appears as if he has had no real contact or attention most of his life.

I ve got him in the house now trying to get him to use the kennel I got for him. so far no luck but he is asleep at my feet, so maybe there is hope for a house dog if not a bird dog. I hope that over the weekend he will get into the kennel so that i can keep him inside, with the cold weather coming I dont like my pets to be outside if I can keep them from it.

thanks for the help. the other dogs do seem to calm him down a bit.

figgured I would change his name...he did'nt come to it anyway. so far now he is yota.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    He will probably mess in the house so you just have to put him outside every time he has an accident. Poor animal from your description just needs to be shown he is loved and appreciated.The problem I had with my labs were they would always run away and when they got their running done then they'd come home and want in.Mine were never trained for Birds but just for pets.:big_smile:

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

TW, Most all dogs are eager to please their master. You just need to be patient, while at the same time letting them know that you/family are the "boss". I was in the same boat as you 4 years ago and we now have a [​IMG]

That is not only a family pet but, overly protective of my wife as well. When we first got her she had zero positive contact with humans now she thinks she is a lap dog. It did take a while to house train her but, now no problems.

6. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    well it was a nice thot.....

after a few days of working with the dog and making progress. he went under the fence. I fixed it and put up a hot wire so that he would not dig. that went well for all of an hour or so. I put him out for the night after having been in with the family most of the day. just as we were heading off to bed I went to check on him. he was gone. went over the fence all 6 foot of it.

after spending most of the night out looking for him I went to bed. I found that looking for a black dog on a dark night is not the most fun thing to do.....

any way as of this morning no sign of him. I am disapointed that he went. I had hoped to have him for a long time. he was a nice dog.

maybe he will come back but around here most dogs that get out dont last the night. the coyotes get them.

thanks for the advice and the help.

7. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    well he turned up this am at the local shelter. hope he had a good time out runnig around. cost me 2 hundred to get him out of dog jail!!! oh well. If I am ment to keep him I guess I would not have found him. here we go again!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    OH $%^& man you gotta LOVE that dog but seriously glad you found him maybe he'll give you another chance huh.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i talked with a local police dog trainer today about ur problems with this dog. he said that consistant repetitions is all that dog needs. If the dog will bond with u u have won. Be sure that if u r the one training it, u r the only one that feeds, corrects, and congradulates that dog. Limit the exposure with people who want to try and help at least for the first couple months.

I am in same boat as u when it comes to training. Puppies are easy but the trainer that i talked to said that once u get the bond with taht dog he will try much harder to please u than a puppy will.

10. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    My father had a similar situation with a 10+ year old Chocolate lab that had lived outside her whole life. He also has a 2 yr old Basset hound that is an inside dog. After a few weeks the lab learned the schedule and has been very happy with her new best friend. Stay patiant and the lab will come around. Remember even though its old life might not have been as good as its new life its never known anything else and will need to adjust.

11. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Glad to hear that you have some commitment to this dog... A little patience will go a long ways I feel.

Hopefully things get settled in soon!

12. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    well......

the dog has come to see my house as home....so far.

he has not run off and has come to like being in with the family. bout got him house trained. I dont think he will ever be a retriver. he just has no interest...oh well. thanks for all the imput and ideas.