"New" Old Casting Reel - How do you retreive?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by loppdawg69, Sep 6, 2007.

1. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    I finally got my hands on some of my grandfathers old reels (he passed many MANY years ago). He has an old Ocean City casting reel that i grabbed and cleaned up. Being this is my first casting reel, and that it doesnt have a level wind or such contraption, how do i spool the line onto the reel so that it does not just cone in the middle of the spool??? I can dismantle, clean, lube but cant figure out how to reel it in LOL!

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had a reel that the line level kept sticking so I tore it off and just used my fingers!!

3. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    you have to use your thumb to guide the line on (your thumb is the levelwind)

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup. You hold the rod above the reel with your left hand, drape your thumb over the line, and as you reel, you move your thumb back and forth. Sounds complicated, but it's really an easy habit to get into, and you may find that you prefer that kind of reel over the levelwind type.

5. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    One last thing if the fish is on and dragging out lots of line PLEASE DO NOT put your thumb over the line to slow this fish down. Your finger will have a good burn before you know it. When I used to fish for large saltwater fish I would wrap my fingers with a small piece of elastic bandage to minimize the rub. Now if the fish you are going after are small you will not need to worry about this.

6. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 New Member

State:
    California
    I took it out for a little Jetty/Surf fishing this morning with great success. It was VERY awkward at first(I dropped the pole 4 times). But seeing as i have never used a casting reel and I am used to retrieving with my left hand instead of the other way around i was happy. I even caught a few barred surf perch, excellent fish taco meat, in the process.