New Olathe Kansas Member

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by shelbygt1979, Jul 21, 2006.

1. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Hello, well my name is Shelby and as you all might know I joined because I love to catfishing also. I just wanted to say hello all. Well I will get a pic of my biggest fish this year as soon as I get the pic from my fishing buddies camera and I will post it. It was a 18 pound channel cat caught at gardner lake on cut Big bluegill middle body section at around 8:30 pm on monday the 17th and A 7 pound one as well on live green sunfish. Fishing Around the feeder in a boat. Well good luck to all that go out tonight and maybe I will catch some more to post Still looking for my first flathead also I think I might try Olathe lake Anyone have any Idea's?? Please help..

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Welcome to the BOC the greatest site on the web.

3. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. Checkout the Library Section, it has a lot of good info.

4. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Welcome to the BOC Shelby..you'll love it here. Always good to see another fisherman from the hometown on here. I'd suggest Smithville for flats..I caught some real nice flatheads out of there up in the river part. Personaly never liked Hillsdale for cattin too much, cause all the trees and whatnot, but I heard alotta guys doing good right off the dam. Good luck, and once again, welcome to the BOC.

5. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    Olathe huh? We're almost neighbors, give or take a few miles. I'm up north in Atchison (the armpit of Kansas). Nothing better than pulling flatheads out of the Mighty Mo after dark. Although its been just a tad bit warm. Did manage to go out tonight for a few hours with my neice and nephew. We hooked 12 cats, boated 7. Not a bad night considering I let the kids bring in 3 each. Made for a great night. Too bad I left the camera at home. I'm still kicking myself!

Greg

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC. I am from Olathe also.
    If your wanting to target flatheads, my number one choice would be the Kaw.
    Olathe Lake does have it's fair share of flatheads and if you have a boat, you certainly have many more options than from the bank.

I have not tried it yet, but the northeast corner of Olathe lake looks like an awesome spot and you can't fish it from the bank.

Water works has big flatheads too!

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well thanks for the info all. I do know about the river's However I believe that Olathe lake would be more fun because you never rally know how big they can get in there with all the wipers and now saugeye they stocked a few years ago. I do have access to a boat however I thought about tryin the north south corner of the flats buy dennis street where the cliff diver's jump go on the flats. what would you think about that? Also according to KDWP boat is not allowed there anymore. I could be wrong I really guess I need to call them to confirm if so. Thanks Again For your help.

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Welcome to the BOC, Shelby! I am from around your area as well. Lake Olathe is a nice little area if you can get to it. Never fished Gardner Lake myself, but I am trying to catch something out of Hillsdale this summer. With my luck I have a whole 0 fish so far LOL. Only fished it once or twice though, and never at the spillway. But welcome to the BOC again. Its a great place to find fishing information.

9. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well I have fished hillsdale so many times at the spillway and so on never got much but DRUM and little 1 or 2 pound channels but good luck to you and thanks

10. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    nice to get another member to the boc gardner is my spot too i love that lake biigest one was a 14lber out there

11. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Maybe I shouldn't try there then.... Well I do know there are big flatheads and HUGE channels in there because a teacher friend of mine caught some 80 pound plus flatheads, and some 20 pound plus channels from there on trotlines. The trick is finding them. Right now I am in the process of finding a good fishing spot. I have tried the Smith Creek area, the old roadbed, and this next time I will try another spot. Hopefully I can get something.

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Boats are still allowed on Olathe Lake, but no wake.
    I have tried several times where they dive... not one bite there.
    I thought it would be a gold mine!

There are a lot of good spots on Olathe Lake.
    If you look at the Kansas Lakes section, I have some maps and locations listed there.

Good luck to you and hope to meet you soon.

13. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!

14. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Shelby,

Welcome to the BOC !!

For Olathe Lake, check out the threads in the "Olathe Lake Starter Guide" forum on this website. KCCATS has some excellent posts with good spots there and there's even a link to a topo map with 4 foot contours.

Hope you do well. I went out with a buddy yesterday morning early and got soaked !! in the rainstorm.

FYI, it's my understanding you can put any size boats on Olathe Lake, but the whole lake is "no wake" zone so you just have to go slow.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks That is really good to know maybe I can hunt for the biggins

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thank you I will go check it out.

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Remember when someone was on a boat at gardner a week or so back and you were fishing with your buddies and we asked you If you were on the BOC?? Well that was me If you don't remember well thats ok because I will be there plenty of times more.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Shelby. Im looking forward to seeing the pics.

19. TongiKat1

TongiKat1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There are several good spots on stranger creek for flattys within 20 minutes of the Armpit....

20. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.