New obsession is aggravating.

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio hilljack, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    This new obsession of catching channels this early in the season is driving me crazy. I see people posting in other states that they are really getting on the channels in the lakes. I'm not looking for huge numbers but I would like to get enough to keep my interest up. We have been fishing six times in the last four weeks and have a grand total of one fish, I'm ready to head back to the big O so I can remember what a catfish looks like. We have fished since the surface water was 34 degree's to 45 degree's yesterday, and since this is new to me this early in the year I am at a loss as to where these fish should be.
    The only fish we've caught was caught in 35 feet of water three weeks ago ,anchored down fishing the bottom. We have caught no other fish there or in any similiar areas. In the last two weeks we have fished the shallower water where water temps have been slightly warmer. We've drifted anchored jigged bottom around structure with no good results. Yesterday we put in at the dock and the surface temp marked at 50 degrees right at the ramp where it was about three feet deep, and there were shad everywhere, but could not get any fish to bite. Did a lot of drifting and anchoring in middle and shallow depths and never had a bite. We mark fish in most of the areas we are fishing others are fished just because they have structure but all leave us wondering what in the world we are doing wrong.
    Brothers do any of you have a answer? We will keep at it but knowing no more than we do it is going to be a slow process .Is it possible these fish are still in a transition phase and are not biting all that well? Also there was a pretty significant shad kill,are they seeing so much food that they just are not traveling to get anything?

2. hhca

hhca New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well i cannot really tell you why there aren't hitting but it very well could be the"winter Kill" idk also remember when the sun goes down the water does to when the shollows cool off the fish to warmer spots maybe 10-13 feet.....at least what i've seen this time year.... would like to know where you were fishing i'm needed a ton of shad

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Dang brother, sounds like you are doing everything right. If the water is that warm, it may well be that the fish are just full and not wanting a cheap meal! There is a positive to all of this. You know that lake better than anybody that is going to be fishing and as soon as you figure out the pattern, you will catch more fish than anyone. I am sure of it!

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Willie, its been the same way up here. Last week the wind had the water all stirred up and muddy, tons of fish up in the north end where the river come in. ! to 3 ft depths. One guy I saw out there had over 30 channels on 3 stringers. 4 days later I went back to that area and the water was clear I could see bottom, NO FISH. Proceeded to drift all around the lake NO FISH. That same day 5 other BOC members were fishing the bank, they managed one 5 lb fish between them. 50 yards around the point on a sharp dropping bank a group of guys caught over 30.

Went two days ago to that bank spot with 3 other boc members and the fish were gone again, we didn't catch anything.

They are in there, just seem to be moving to different areas on a constant basis lol. Just gotta keep going till they settle into a managable pattern I guess.

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Willie the channels are feeding in the lakes and rivers. All the winter kill and the cooler temps could be playing a factor. The ones we have caught so far were in the shallows on the wind blown direction of the lake. All had over stuffed bellies from gorging themselves. With the still slightly cooler temps it's a possibility that it's taking them awhile to digest everything they are taking in before going on the feed again. Only caught one in the river the other day, and it's belly was just as full as the ones in the lake. I know the area I fished had to have more channels in it, but only one taker. Like Skip said; just keep going after them like the rest of us. It's only a matter of time.

6. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    We were fishing at Rocky Fork lake but I've noticed that lots of the lakes we fish have shad congregating near the ramps when we come in late. Don't know if it is the shallow water or what but we see that pretty often.

7. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks guys .I was concerned that I may be the only person fishing that wasn't catching any fish..

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    VACATION!! Take one and come down here and fish with me!!

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    This would be the perfect weekend. Stac is leaving for Vegas in the morning so I could just lock the kids in the house with plenty of food and come on down.She would never figure me out..

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Are the kids locked up yet??