New NC fishing license regulations for 2007!

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Katmaster Jr., Mar 7, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Beginning Jan. 1, 2007, anglers ages 16 years and older using any type of bait or gear to catch finfish while fishing North Carolina's public water must possess a valid North Carolina Fishing License. Anglers who receive Food Stamps, Medicaid or Work First Family Assistance may obtain a written waiver from this new fishing license requirement through their county Department of Social Services.

What do ya'll think about this?

Zakk

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I think its fair and should provide more money to stock fish and make the fishing better in N.C.

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thats how it is in MN. I had to buy my licences at 16.
    The rest of its fair.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'll send the wife out tomorrow to try to get us some food stamps.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    LOL!!! That's the only part of it I was wondering about, seems kind of weird in my opinion.:)

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Next thing you know their fines will be free too.
    But of course the fines for paying folks will increase.

We gotta get this Easley crowd out of the capital preferably by rail and I dont mean the joke of a commuter rail he is talking about either.

7. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you cant buy food, how can you buy bait............ just my thoughts.........

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    At this rate, it would not surprise me at all.:sad:

Also, Dragger, I was just thinking the same thing!

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    If you can afford to fish, you can afford to but the D**N liscense..EVERYBODY!!!!!!:mad:

Next they (state gov.) will want us to catch their bait for them, cut it and put on a hook....

Let's start a web site Mike Easley's got to go......it appears to be working against Jim Black

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well guys I see where you are coming from..... but if we take a moment to look at those less fortunate, basically saying that they can't or won't purchase a licence. I would rather have them register with the state and DNR and recieve a waiver or discount while being on record, then having someone deprived of enjoying our nations resources, due to financial contraints, especially if kids are a factor. (At what point does it change over to the majority not being able to afford outdoor activities.)
    If we are worried about people abusing it. I cant imagine that it would be worth anybodies time to get a waiver unless they flat out could not afford one, where as instead of purchasing the licence outright saving themselves a considerable amount of time.
    Again: At least we would have a more accurate idea on how many people are using rescources if they obtain waivers. Just because they cant afford it does'nt mean that they don't use it.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Come on. Bright bare copper has topped 2 bucks a pound and no telling what aluminum is now.
    Pick up some trash.
    A 15 dollar fishing license has never kept anyone from fishing before from what I've seen.
    I have a feeling this is nothing more then an easy out for the NCWRC.
    They are writing tickets to nonexistent people all the time.
    Case in point.
    "Pablo, do you even exist? You don't have a driver's license, social security card , or any other form of ID much less a fishing license."
    "You say you live on Smith Rd. and your house number is 3333?"
    "Here is your ticket and your court date to appear."

I would consider this legislation's purpose is more aimed towards immigrants illegal or otherwise as opposed to helping out some poor folk whether they are poor from sorriness or circumstance.
    I'm anxious to watch some Game Wardens down at the rivers checking bankfishermen for license.
    I bet a dime to a dollar Pablo wont get checked for a license anymore.
    I see where this a problem in the field and the courtroom but if my gut is right on this, this aint the way to handle it.

My proposal to correct this situation would be to make a fishing license mandatory with a driver's license.
    Since NC has never had a problerm issueing immigrants illegal or otherwise a drivers license sell em a fishing license right there at the same counter.
    You know you got em covered then.

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    But I agree there. And people who have been fishing without a liscence are going to continue fishing without a liscence and harvesting fish in a illegal manner. How many of people have you run into fishing that you've run into on the water that have a "hard time" with english do you think know that there is a 14" length limit on largemouth bass? Could they even read the Regulations Digest to obtain such information? I've almost been in fights before over immigrant workers with stringers of bass that were 5"-10" long! Find a couple on your favorite waters next time you're out and watch them, inconspicuously of course. More than likely, if they catch a small bass, they'll throw it up on the shore quick and do one of two things...1.)Stomp it so that it won't draw attention flopping around...and/or 2.)Throw it directly into a ziplock bag, or other type of plastic bag that they've got stashed in the long grass or trees...

And as for other people on food stamps or government subsidy...I am one of those people that technically qualify...though I simply won't do it, I could. Both myself and my wife are liscensed fishermen! If you can't afford a liscence, you need to be spending more time getting a job to support yourself and your family, then trying to harvest a few fish for dinner. Of cousr special circumstances apply. It just sounds like a government loophole to me...

13. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    bigblaze if you are down on your luck on food stamps nine time out of ten you are not fishing for sport you are doing it to eat . the worms are free minows can be cought fishing line can be found around docks and a hook can be borrowed slap it all on a stick or coke bottle and you have dinner the family can eat and save the food stamps for important things . Just think if you were hungry would a license stop you from hunting fishing or trapping wouldn t stop me.And even since they waived the fee they aren t going to register any way because that would cost to travel or a stamp and o yeah they dont care anyway they are just hungry.

14. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I don't feel threaten by people taking undersized fish with or without a license.
    That bull stuff is a mortal sin and their all going to "heck" when they die. But
    My fishery is under attack from companies that pollute the water. There are small rivers and creeks in this area that have had warnings posted to not eat the fish because of pollution. The old timers tell us about the days when these same creeks were full of cats, bass and crappie, now-a-days you couldn't eat the fish even if you could catch them. Lower Arkansas is still pretty rural, and there are folks out in the country with no running water living in shot gun shacks. A whole bunch of them folk fish to eat, and have probably never had a license in their lives. To them I say "Amen brother- pass the worms".
    The other scary thing down here is poaching fish for a living. These guys put out gill nets, take everything in sight including turtles, and gar and sell it out of the back of a pickup truck.
    I'm not sayin I'm in favor of giving away fishing licenses, it's just not a big risk to my fishery. Time will probably come when it is an issue, right now I got bigger fish to fry.

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm sorry bronco67, I'm gonna stand my ground here! The fishing liscense waiver is just the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. What about all the free health care that's provided and the State has plenty of soup kitchens, and missions where they pass out free food!

IF YOU GOT TIME TO FISH YOU GOT TIME TO GET A JOB BROTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. phillip puryear

phillip puryear New Member

State:
    NC
    No laws are gonna stop the coke bottle fishing crew. Their to high up on the ladder. Thanks Bush..

17. Kerrlakecatmaster

Kerrlakecatmaster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's his fault on food Stamps !

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Phillip, Immigrants legal or illegal have been coming to this country and getting more then a citizen can get in many cases long before either George Bush took office. The Mexican American border is not some new geography formation.
    We have even shipped American jobs to Mexico by the thousands and they still come here.

The Easly crowd has always made it easier for ILLEGALS to get what they need in the way of drivers license and welfare funds in North Carolina not George Bush.

19. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    If you live near a social servies office, drive and park. Watch the vehicles that pull in to get this "helping hand" that they need so bad because they "are down on their luck".
    Surprises me how a expensive vehicle can be had but food can't be bought with money?

20. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Well, I have been blessed in my life by not having to be on any type of government assistance. If I was in that situtation I would appreciate the break.

Personally, I think it is a good thing for the people who really need the help, and there are some folks who truly do. For the ones that don't need the help and are milking the system, they will be too lazy to cart their butts off to DSS to get the waiver and will end up with a ticket.