New NC Channel Catfish Record !

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Aug 18, 2007.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It was caught out of my boat on tuesday night on the neuse river will add details soon.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hotdog!!!! Another record for a BOC member. Congrats.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Out standing Jason. Can't wait for the details.

4. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hot dayum!!!!!!:wink:

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    post the pic already lol---j/k buddy would like to see it though when u get a chance

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well how big was it, how long, girth, bait caught on, weight?? Give us some details man!!:wink:

7. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    We are patiently waiting!!!!!!!!!!!:0a19:

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, all I can say is, bigblaze ain't gonna be too happy, since he holds the NC channel cat record as of now. Maybe it was him who caught it though! Wonder if we're ever gonna find out :tounge_out:?

9. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well congrats man. who caught it you or someone else. hope to hear more soon.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats! I hope you get it certified and released if possible! :big_smile:

11. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Way to go, Jason! Give us the details as soon as you can.

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    i knew it would be you on your boat...congrats to the one who caught it...

13. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

I was not even fishing for cats when I caught the channel...

I would have thought it would have been broke sooner....I know JAYNC has caught a 19.75 and GREGGOFISH has caught a 20....so....

I knew it wouldn't last....i thought it would be JAYNC or GREGGOFISH that would break it...

"RECORDS ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN"...again congrats to the angler!

14. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    I talked to Jason and it was a friend of his who caught it.Im pretty sure he said it was 18 and 1/2. Congrats to your friend Jason.Wont be long and another record will be caught around spring garden.I really think the flathead record will be broken in the neuse soon

15. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am new to the BOC, and if it was not for JAYNC I would not have caught the fish. I have been waiting on the state to update the web page and as of this morning it is there. You all can check ncwildlife.org for the press release. I was on his boat, just like many other trips, and to beat all else the fish was caught on one of his rods. We had gone back and forth over which boat we would take that night, and with the thought of record low water in the Neuse we decided the Metal Triton hull would fare much better for that night than my Fiberglass Nitro. 18 pounds 5.44 ounces was the official numbers. At the time of catch the fish was approximately 20 lbs, but by the time I could get it certified it was dead and dehydrating fast. Ask the managment at Wal-Mart in New Bern some time why weighing a record catch in their seafood department is not allowed? The fish measured 32.5 inches in length, with 21 inches of girth. The fish was caught on the Neuse River in the early morning of the 15th around 2 am, and was weighed in at Custom Marine Fabrication in New Bern at 7:45. I attached an early photo of the fish prior to it dying, it sure was a nice looking channel.

Attached Files:

16. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Congrat's bro., glad a BOC member again got the record. That makes three state records in less than 12 months.
    One for an Ark. blue and two for the channel cat record.

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    At first me and Wesley IE (crankbait77) normally went fishing in his boat for stripers, then I asked him to come with me sometime to do some catfishing, NC style. We went out one night and caught 9 fish, mostly blues around 30lbs or a little more, then he hooked onto a monster that he couldn't even turn around with a heavy action Tsunami rod with 120lb braid. The fish got loose in some stumps, after that he told me he was HOOKED on catfishing, he then went out and bought hundreds of dollars worth of cat gear. I'm glad I got to be at least involved in a nc state record. I'm just hoping now we can go out and break the flathead record. I'm just happy to get another member on the BOC and to get now, a whole family hooked on cattin.

18. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Congrats on the catch! Darn shame it didn't live to get bigger! I don't know how that whole certification thing works but I better get it straight because I'm gonna need to know someday I hope!!

19. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Way to go Wesley! Welcome to the BOC, we're proud to have you as a member :cool2:.

20. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

congrats to you Wesley....

well SUNDROP the way i see there are 2 problems working against catch and release for a state record....well these are the 2 problems i faced for getting my channel cat certified....

one was finding a state certified scale....i caught my channel cat in freaking roanoke river...(weldon) it's like the striper capital and couldn't find a bait shop with certified scales....we had to go to a fish market...

the follow link will tell you how to have state certified scales in your boat should you ever catch a state record....

http://www.greg@greggofish.com/scalecertification.html...

but having state certified scales is only half the battle you have to call a state certified biologist to come verify that is in fact the species that you think you have caught....and thats where the problem comes in...i had to wait over a day for the biologist to verify...that it was a channel cat...we tried to keep him alive to release it back but it the end it died...

thanks to greggofish for the link...