New Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bnorth, Oct 30, 2008.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Looking into buying my first muzzleloader. So far I have read a LOT of good things about the TC Omega Z5. No one seems to have anything bad to say about them, and I can pick one up for less than $300. Lots of reviews say you can shoot ~2" at 100yds right out of the box with open sights. AND they are made in the USA. Any opinions?

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I do not know about the Omega Z5. I shoot traditional stuff. But I will say
    everything I have ever seen from Thompson Center is quality equipment.

3. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I like Thompson muzzeloaders, I think they are the best for the money. I'd make sure you buy the one with a stainless steel barrel, I think this is the best thing they ever used for muzzeloaders.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I have a wolf cva 150 grn x 209 primer its dead on!:eek:oooh:

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I have a .32 thompson, a .36 CVA, a .45 CVA, a .50 Lyman Great plains, and an Italian made .54 and I like the Lyman the best. Although the .32 is a lot of fun to shoot. Don't know anything about those new fangled in line ones.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have two friends with Omegas. And this time next year I will have one. They both swear by them and I've seen them shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards. 100 grains of triple 7 and either powerbelt 295's or the Thompson Center 250 shockwaves as I recall. Very nice firearm.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    No offense to the traditionalist but I really like inlines. I have a stainless Thompson Encore. The Omega I'm sure is just as good and probably the same barrel. My encore shoots 245 grain powerbelts like a dream. My local sporting goods guy turned me on to the new loose Blackhorn 209 powder. Its shoots hotter than pyrodex and absolutely non corrosive. No swabbing the barrel between shots is neccessary, no rust if you don't clean your blued gun after hunting. I like the Blackhorn 209 powder alot. Enough that I gave away my Pyrodex to a friend.

8. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the response. I too have heard that the Omega's with 100 grains of 777 and 250 gr. shockwaves is hard to beat. I found at my local sporting goods store a Omega Z5 with camo composite stock, stainless barrel treated with WeatherGuard for $299 plus a $50 mail in rebate. I figure for $250 bucks it's going to be hard to beat.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I love my Omega!!!! It's a super gun, deadly accurate, easy to use, cant go wrong IMO.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    No experience with a Thompson but ive never heard anything bad about them. I have a cva hunterbolt magnum, no need for a magnum. If ya can wait after hunting season is over you should be able to get it even cheaper.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a CVA Wolf inline, that I just love to shoot. I can shoot i" groups at 100 yards all day with 100 grain of powder and 245 grain powerbelt. Later Andy

12. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have a thompson renegade .54. Is your .32 a cherokee. In the late 1970s
    I saw a .32 thompson cherokee it looked great and the feel was out of this
    world. I have thought about for thirty years.

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I can't say anything about the TC Omega but I can talk all day about my TC Encore muzzleloader. I'm sure the Omega would be a performer for you. I load 100 grains of triple 7 pellets behind a Hornady 300 grain SST bullet.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    That is a steal compared to what my friend paid for his exact same muzzleloader. Like half. I don't think you'll regret that deal.

15. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i have a ruger .50 muzzlelaoder that i like alot and i too have never heard a bad thing about TC

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have a T/C Renegade 54 cal. and 2 in-lines. If I'm hunting with the old side lock it seems I see and bag more deer than with the in-lines. I've been shooting T/Cs for 30 yrs. and have no complaints with them. I love the nastalga of the old side locks. Go for it man it sounds like a heck of a deal to me.