NEW MS STATE RECORD FLATHEAD CATFISH

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dinger66, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    new record caught yesterday in columbus miss ,by joel pounders a 77#pound flathead .

2. Bassmaster9863

Bassmaster9863 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    thats awesome any pics? or a story?

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

im with this dude!!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There should be a neat story to go with this big fish. I look forward to reading it.

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i will post it as soon as i talk to him !

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Sweet. Was it released or did he have to kill it?

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i feel like it will be relased to big to kill !

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    :cool2:

Ray

9. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Here is a kink to read about this new record.[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]Subscribe Today! Advertise Classifieds Obituaries Letters to the Editor Facebook Previous Issues
    NOW ACCEPTING PAYMENTS ONLINE VIA PAYPAL!!
    Subscriptions Classifieds General Payments
    Packet #852 - November 5, 2009 Columbus man catches state record flat-head
    [​IMG]

Joey Pounders of Columbus caught a gigantic flat-head catfish near town Monday afternoon that blew away the old state record. And although there is always an element of luck to fishing it was no accident that Pounders caught this fish. Pounders was raised on the river and taught to fish by his father and competes professionally in catfish tournaments. He is serious about fishing.

Pounders’s fish weighed 77 lbs.—11 pounds more than the old record [I forgot to find out if this was the final, official weight. Ed.]. The great fish was held in a masonry tank for two days and thoroughly examined by state officials before being released back into the river.

Pounders, a 27-year-old Caledonia native and an employee with the Lowndes County Road Dept., was fishing by himself near the foot of the cut-off island Monday afternoon when he caught the big fish. He was on a 21-foot pontoon boat and was fishing with live shad that he had netted before he started fishing. Pounders baited four poles, hooking the 7”-8” shad through the eyes or back. The poles were seven feet long and each had an open-face Daiwa 400-X reel with 50-lb braided nylon line. At the end of each line was a three-way swivel with a three-foot, 20-lb-test sinker line and a two-ounce sinker and an 18-inch, 50-lb-test monofilament hook line with a 7/0 circle hook.

Pounders went out around 2:15 p.m. and by 2:45 p.m. he had his pontoon boat tied to the limbs of a mostly submerged tree and had his lines out. Fifteen minutes later he noticed a little tug on one of his lines. He said that when a flat-head takes a bait it will “barely tug on it, then let it go, then hit it a little harder and let it go again, then the third time he takes it and you need to have your drag set or you’re not gonna be able to out-power him, even a 20- or 30-pounder.”

The big fish acted true to type and pulled out 10 or 15 yards of line as it went into the submerged branches of the tree.

Pounders said, “When you’re dealing with a structure like a tree you really want some heavy-duty line—it’s just you and the fish and you want something you can pull back on and not break. As soon as they feel the hook they go for cover.”

Pounders said he could feel the line hitting the branches and had to horse the fish back to keep from losing him. Even though the fish had not gone far it took Pounders ten minutes to pull him to the boat. Now he had another problem. Two weeks earlier he had broken his landing net landing a 50-lbbluecat on Pickwick Lake. He couldn’t use the net and was alone on the boat.

“I had to stick my hand in its mouth and drag it into the boat,” said Pounders. “I knew that if he clamped down he’d break my arm.” He added that when flatheads clamp down with their jaws they turn their heads from side to side whereas bluecats clamp down and roll their heads. But Pounders managed to pull the monster onto the deck of the pontoon boat without getting hurt.

[​IMG]
    Jerry Pounders Sr. pulls the great fish from the holding tank yesterday morning.

Pounders put the fish in a large insulated chest filled with river water and weighed it at Tri-Star Marine and the on the 4-County office scales. He then took the fish to his brother Jerry Jr.’s house on the cut-off island across from Ruben’s and put him in a large live-well made of stone. Water was pumped from the river through a hose to the tank.

Fish & Wildlife Warden Darren Coggin measured the fish yesterday morning—it was 49 1/2” long and had a 35” girth.

Pounders said that he was taught to fish by his father, Jerry Pounders Sr., and has been fishing all his life. Referring to his father, he said, “He’s happy—it’s a reflection of what he taught me. He’d never take any credit but deep down inside he knows his son is a successful fisherman.”

Jerry Pounders Sr. has three other sons, all of whom fish: Jerry Jr., Josh and Jonathan. Josh and Joey are teammates on the catfish tournament circuit. Jerry Sr. said that they both out-fish him now.

The Pounders expressed some concern that after they returned the fish to the river people fishing by hand or with hooks and rope would catch it and kill it.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Cool, Nice one!!

11. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Congratulations Joey, Great job.

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    wow what an awesome fish. congrats on the record Joey and for the release.

13. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    wow ,,that's a hog. nice one joey. ( catch and release is the only way to fish )

14. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Gah damn, that's biiiiiiiig

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the new record Joey. I wish I could see something like that on the end of my rod.:crazy:

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Congratulations on a helluva fish!! That's the kind we all dream about. Much respect for the live release too.