New Motorcycle.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catmanofohio, Sep 11, 2006.

1. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Well here a while back an old friend of mine was taken from us. He was on his NEW motorcycle that he just bought for 11,000. When he was speeding (140+MpH) and lost control striking a tree with his head. Well after that I know a lot of guys went out and bought new bikes to ride in memory of him. Not only this reason but I have a good chance to pick up a friends bike for 3,500.00 its registered for 185 and it will do it... I never will. But anywho its a 8K bike and i was wondering if I should go ahead and get a loan for it. I can always resell the bike for 4K+. Or should i go and buy me a decent mustang, or a truck. I have a jeep J10 76' 4X4 atm. But it gets about 12 miles to the gal. and im a delivery boy for a local pizza shack.
    Btw, dont remember what kind it is but its a 650.
    Lots'a thoughts.
    Matt Stratton

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Hey Matthew, I see you are a 19 year old young man and I would hate for you to get hurt or even worse but you are the one who has to decide if you are ready for a bike. You said it was a good deal for 3500.00 and your jeep only gets 12 mpg. Well, think about how much gas 3500.00 will buy. I know you will be safer in your jeep if for no other reason but the fact that other motorist can see you better. If you get it I say great or if you don't I still say great. But if you do please be careful and please wear a brain bucket.:cool2:

st

3. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    I only have one question---- whats does the MPG of your jeep have to do with buying a motorcycle? Its not like you are figureing on delivering Pizzas on the bike is it? LMAO

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use to ride all the time. But my friends seem to be dieing alot riding their scooters. Most have not been their fault but the fault of the driver of the car. I saw on the news that death on scooters are @ a all time high. Buy the bike and resell it. Use that money for a tune up on the jeep and you will get better gas milage. When I sold my Harley it was like selling one of my kids.
    Bill

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Ahhh! I remember when I was your age. I was invincible! I remember riding my Honda Shadow home one night. Normally I never drank when I rode for I knew how dumb I was. That night we partied a little after work. I rode home (1 hour) at speeds up to about 125mph. To this day I swear I had an angel sitting on my shoulder that got me home safely. I have graduated to an Ultra Classic that won't get out of its way, but I am old!

I can't tell you to buy or not to buy a bike, but it sounds like you are looking at a crotch rocket. Speed kills. If you have seriously... not like most 19 year olds, but if you have seriously considered what your death or serious injury will mean to your mother, and you are secure in your ability both physically, mentally and emotionally, then do it. Bikes are lots of fun. PS If you buy it make sure you always run with your bright lights on. There are way too many idiots out there talking on cell phones etc... BUT... they are bigger than you. Nobody wants to be dead right.

I need to save this post for when my son grows up. (he's 9)
    Did you read Aces post about heaven being in the yellow pages?

Good luck in your decision making.

I just bought a 99 Shadow Spirit 1100 with 8,000 miles on it for $3275.00 so that my wife can learn how to ride, so I do know the joys of the open road.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First thing is that I care about you.I am going to talk to you as I would my son or grandson.I hope to save your life.You do not seem to value it,or the lives of others.I do.I bought a bike to save gas during the shortages of the 70's.It was a small one.You do not buy a 185 MPH motorcycle,a Mustang or a truck to save gas.A motercycle that you KNOW will do 185 MPH has been ABUSED.This knowledge also shows a lack of responsibility,as this speed can not be obtained without the risk to the riders life and to the general public.From tires on up,raceing bikes are set up different to run at this speed on a track.If your friend died as you say he died.He died while completly disreguarding his life and the life of others.I am sorry that he cared so little for the people that loved him and were left hurting.I am glad that he did not kill some innocent person.To use his death as a excuse to go out and buy a "new bike to ride in his memory"is just that.A excuse.A excuse to buy a new bike.A man is responsable to himself,his loved ones,the puplic and his country no matter his age.A child is iresponsible no matter his age.Please do not die or kill as a child with a toy.I want you to die as a old man who has led a good life and is respected by his fellow men.I want you to grow old and remember the foolish ilresponcible kids that died and killed.I do not want you to be one.To be a man or a child is up to you.I can assure you.You will never be accepted as a man by men untill you are one.You will have no trouble being accepted by children playing as men.I have been where you are.I wish you and your loved ones the best of luck on your decision.Your lives depend on it.You are my brother.You hurt.I hurt.peewee-williams.

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,having a bike is a big responsibility on the road.It means driving defensively everywhere you go.It means not ASSUMING the other person will pay any attention to the stop sign,stoplight,or will even see you,even if you are 20 feet away from them and moving along.
    I have had a few bikes,I had one around your age when I was younger and I knew to be defensive,well,I was coming to a corner and a car whom I knew just had to see me pulled right in front of me.Only by the grace of God did this happen at a low speed of about 10 M.P.H.,and I had to ditch the bike in someones yard.and even at 10 one can go flying.I got lucky because I was ignorant of the responsibility one who rides a bike has for himself as well as others.
    You may have the ability to see everything going on around you when you are driving,but the minute you get on a bike and you get the wind in your hair sometimes it can have a tendency to cause tunnel vision and you see nothing around you.
    I have A bike now,its an older honda 81,cx500.top speed of 85 m.p.h.
    I had this bike years ago and recently bought another.85 is plenty for me.
    Remember this,when a car and a motorcycle get into an accident the motorcyclist will always lose.
    And peewee got it right,this motorcycle has more than likely been abused.and you take on a big responsibility when you drive one.
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Pee Wee and Kevin said everything I was going to.
    No offence but your friend was an idiot and for your other friends to buy bikes to "honor" his memory is ridiculous. The only thing he should be remembered for was the way he wasted his life and the pain he left behind him.
    I have ridden motorcycles for forty years so I know how good it feels to be out there but the roads thes days are not m/c friendly at all. I have a Harley in my garage that I haven't had the enthusiasm to ride for nearly 2 years for that very reason.
    Spend the money on a half decent car that gets good mileage and live a long and happy life...W

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well it hasnt been abused, it has been 185 with/out romping it. he also has another bike hes keeping that will go 210. im not dumb enough to get out there and run 200 Mph. I plan on running MAYBE 80, if that on MAJOR state highways where there is OPEN area and no off roads for people to pull in front of me, wont ride it in the rain, nor snow. Will wear helmet, and glasses. Highbeam all the time. If i dont like it i can go sell it for 4-5K im gonna hand him about 2.3K and tell him thats top $ ill offer and if he dont take it then ill give him 2.5 :) but still i can make a good bit if i do that and resell. then pay back the loan, get my credit up, and have money left to fix up my jeep some more. i agree trey was being dumb when he was going 140, he looked back to see where the other bikes were went into a curve and lost control. no helmet, but still it wouldnt have helped.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am 2 years,9 months past the maximum that I was given to live by my doctor.I honestly believe that I stand a real good chance of out living you.After all,I am just terminally ill with incurable Lymphoma and Heart disease.I believe that my illness is far safer than yours.I wish you the best.I pray for you and all of the BOC members and families every day.Remember that Helmets save lives.The problem is that may of the lives that they saved are paralyzed from the neck down by the weight of the helmet.Some one somewhere worked very hard to raise you to your age.If you are killed or maimed at this,what about them?I am very sorry because I care.I think that anyone that cares about you is going to do a lot of unnecessary hurting.You remind me of friends that I had at your age.I still miss them after all of these years.They hurt everyone that loved them.peewee-williams

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Was gonna give you a REP for this post ,but it said I got to spread it around before I can give to you again. Really enjoyed what you said.GOD BLESS!!

12. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    man i had a suzuki 1100 sport bike when i was your age and o said the same thing about not going to fast but i did and recked. but really i think that younshould go with whats in your heart to do. sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.

13. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    riding isn't a bad thing. you have to keep in mind that you have to respect the bike and its power. i 2 have seen a lot of guys killed for like of respect. I started out on a 750 honda at the dragstrip at the rip age of 13 and i have been riding since. i'm #* yrs old now and still enjoy the speed and power of a dragbike underneathe me.

again its about respect for the bike and it will respect you in return

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hey if someone has already offered you 500 more for the bike sell it to them. Keep the 500 bucks.

15. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    sounds like a crotch rocket. "Unsafe at any speed" to quote Ralph Nader out of context. I agree with peewee. & do you plan on delivering pizzas on this thing?
    Lisa

16. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    be it honda goldwing, Harley Davison, suzuki, yamaha, ducati, honda's sports bike, trumph or any bike for instance they all warrant respect.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A few months ago we had 2 motorcycle wrecks out here in the boonies within yards of each other 2 hours apart on a Sunday afternoon.
    The first wreck I dont know the details of the wreck itself but the fella lived.
    He got his endorsement on Friday, bought the bike on Saturday, and wrecked it on Sunday. Busy weekend .

The second wreck hours later was pack riding. The highway has a slight curve. He just kept going straight and ate a road sign. He was DID. Around here thats Dead In Ditch. That motorcycle had a little less then 700 miles on it.
    Inexperience kills whether its at riding bikes or speed.
    I can ride one of these things from point A to point B but I'll tell you, just being able to change gears and ride it doesnt make me experienced.
    Something about blowing a tire at 65 MPH in 6 lanes of traffic and getting safely to the shoulder of the road with a passenger shows some resemblance of experience.
    I think I'll stay inexperienced. I've never had the desire to ride I guess because of not just idiots on the road but so many idiots these days.
    20 Years ago I would have been more apt to ride.

I work with a guy that is in constant mode to break or keep the world land speed record on a bike. He recently held it at 255MPH. His current project is the ultimate of crotch rockets. He'll be straddling a GE jet engine.
    I would imagine the odds of his dying on a bike are pretty high.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Would be a lil' tuff delivering pizzas on a motorbike don't ya think? I wouldn't do it. then you'll have a loan payment and depending on where you live you might only get to ride it a few months out of the year PLUS, you couldnt drive around with your friends/date in it, and the gas mileage you said, really sucks! litteraly.!! . 12 MPG?!! Hell, My 1973 Ford Galaxie gets better mileage than that!... Dont do it. JMHO

19. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    If you can sell it for that much, why dosen't your friend sell it for that much instead of taking such a loss? Just a thought. I would by a boat, LOL.