new motor

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bronco67, Dec 10, 2007.

1. bronco67

bronco67 New Member

State:
    nc
    thinking of putting a new motor on my john and was wondering what everyone opinion on the best 25-30 hp tiller steer was ? suzuki,yamaha, honda evinrude, merc etc .I think of leaning towards suzuki any help appreciated.:smile2:

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My brother has a new Merc 20hp 4stroje and he likes it,there is alot of difference in 2 or 4 but he says 4 is the stuff.From everyone on here ther is alot of contraversey bout it all though ,let me know what you do and think in the end cause I have my sights on a 4 too.:wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have a 4 stroke suzuki and love it after having a 4 stroke ill never ever have a 2 stroke again!!!!!!!!!

4. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

yamaha and honda 4-strokes were tested by the coastgard against the previous 2-strokes and outlasted the studdy. they are heavier than the equivallent 2-stroke size. you might make double sure that your transome can take the weight of the 4-stroke model if you can afford to go that route. with the price of 2-stroke oil as high as its getting, i could nearly argue that as a selling point to the up-grade.

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

and if you do allot of jumping spots at night, the sound factor might also benifit by going the 4-stroke route. ive got both and love them both for different reasons. my 2-strokes are loud as H... and there is a certian ambiance from opening them wide open and feal the wood shake. ha ha ha....but i also love the quiet running of the 4. ive never run one of the new 2's yet.

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Bought me a yamaha 2 stroke 25hp tiller this year for my 14' jon. LOVE IT! Its a lot quieter than the 1960's and 1970's 2 strokes i'm used to. It says to use 100:1 oil mix after you get done breaking it in. Very good on gas. We stood there and listened as the salesperson explained everything on the 4 stroke.....i'm glad we went with a 2. Lots cheaper, and lots lighter (not to mention lots cheaper to work on when they tear up, and they ALL tear up eventually). I haven't had a minutes trouble with mine. You wont be able to go with an evinrude in that HP range, because all they have is 40hp and up. Just make sure your boat is rated for the weight if you decide to go 4 stroke....they are HEAVY.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago I had a 14' Sea Nymph. That was in 1988 and I bought a new Evenrude 25 hp. It ran great, with fuel prices, I kinda wish I had kept that boat & motor. I had that motor 11 years till 1999 and never stuck a dime in it, short of spark plugs. When I sold it to my neighbor, he had to stick a 180 dollar starter in it after he used it a couple years.

Evenrude is a good motor. I have a 1999 90hp Merc now and it is a good motor, both motors are 2 strokes.

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have a 25hp Tohatsu and I love it. Plenty of power for me and it starts every time without running your battery down. I like the feature of a pull rope, and a Electric starter.. I wouldn't trade this motor off for anything..

9. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have a 16ft jon boat but no motor. I was pricing them and they are not cheap. Any advice on where to get one at a reasonable price. The lake by me has a 10hp limit but i'd like to do the river thing too. I never purchased a boat motor before and not really sure what to look for?

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dean, I get a Honda or a Merc. 4 stroke is real nice and quiet.... and fuel efficient. I have a Honda 90 on my bigger river boat and its been great for 500 hrs.

Merry Christmas Bayrunner Ray

11. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    Most all outboards that are made today are very reliable, very well built and will provide you with years of service. Some get better fuel economy, some cost a little less or a little more, different features for different folks. In my opinion it is mostly about personal preference.

12. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Also I have a T55 thrush trolling motor but my friend says they dont last more than a few hours on the water. Any insight on this?

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago, just after the ice age left, I was about broke/poor/empty wallet. I was mad at gas outboards as I had one that shot a rod out the side. I got this brainey idea to buy a Min Koto 24 volt 65 lbs push. I thought I could just go any where with it on my 12 foot boat. Well to make a long story short, I went about 3 miles from the boat ramp, and thought I would have to row back. LOL What a waste of money that was. I should have been looking for a used gas motor.

Last year I was watching Ebay during the winter and picked up a 9.9 Mariner that was steering controlled off of Ebay for 500 bucks. It came with the console, fish locater, seats , pedastles, battery, Merc trolling motor and gas tank. A tree fell on this fellas boat and his homeowners covered it. So he stripped it out and put the good stuff on Ebay as a package and scrapped the alluminun boat out. The bad thing was I had to pick all this stuff up and he lived in Massachucets. Heck it cost me another 400 hundred in gas , tolls, and one night in a motel to pick it up. But boy was it worth it. I got a lot of good stuff for 900 dollars total. That 9.9 sits next to my 90 Merc now, and will push my 19 footer just fine.

My suggestion to folks is, don't get in a hurry and watch Ebay if you want to save money. And John don't think an electric motor will work even close to as good as a gas one on a small boat.

Just my humble opinion ,
    Jim

14. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Point well taken.. I will look for a motor instead of using trolling motor.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I'm not sure that a person can actually purchase a new motor at a reasonable price, but here is a place where you can buy Nissan and Tohatsu motors, and parts, at less than normal retail. Free shipping and no sales tax.

I bought a small 4 HP Nissan motor from them and am happy with the motor and the service/delivery. I only wish that I had bought a larger motor...but, at the time the 4 HP was what I thought I needed!:confused2:

http://www.internetoutboards.com/default.asp

Bill

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    WRONG! wRONG! WRONG!

I no doubt was having a "Senior moment" when I wrote the above message!

I did not buy my Nissan motor from Internet Outboards!!:confused2: (I am thinking about buying a carb. from them for my motor.)

The lowest price I found for a Nissan or Tohatsu motor was from Porta-Bote International, the folks that make that small fold-up boat.

www.pota-bote.com

The price for a 4 HP Nissan motor was about $50 less than at Internet Outboard. And, Pota-Bote has sales this time of yer!

Bill

17. Darren Twellman

Darren Twellman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I purchased a Suzuki 140 HP with my boat. Can't wait to try it out! I heard the Suzuki 140 was the best bang for the buck considering dollar for HP.

18. john103

john103 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I bought a small 4 HP Nissan motor from them and am happy with the motor and the service/delivery. I only wish that I had bought a larger motor...but, at the time the 4 HP was what I thought I needed!:confused2:

http://www.internetoutboards.com/default.asp

Bill[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

19. mixrdrivr113

mixrdrivr113 New Member

State:
    Bay, Mo
    hello john as for looking for a motor you might e as well off to look for a boat motor and trailer combo, a few yrs ago my old mercury over heated and lost a piston ,i looked for a motor for almost 2 yrs b4 i found one when i did finally find one it was a ten yr old mer 25 hp that i give 1000 dollars for,during the time i looked for the motor i found complete boat packages,for 1500 and up,good luck,if you dont find one in a few weeks let me know i might have a 25 hp mer i would sell u

20. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    one thing you should keep in mind is ....if you are going to do the work on the boat yourself you might want to go with a motor that is easy to find parts for....i had a suzuki and i had to travel for and wide to get the parts for them i recently went with a Merc and i have parts store right around the corner.....just some food for thought!!!!:big_smile: