New Monster Rod from Steve Douglas

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rnickel17, May 24, 2017.

1. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    Guys, there is no such thing as medium, medium heavy, or heavy Action. As you can see from the image below from St. Croix. These ratings above are for the Power of the rod. Action is determined by the flex of the blank. I've found the St. Croix rods I've used to be in the ballpark for there ratings of action and power. Many freshwater companies are way off, especially catfishing rods.
    IMG_1364.PNG

2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I think most of the older guys know this. They just aren't paying close attention to their use of terminology. I consider the rod Power to be the strength of the backbone. It's ability to horse a big fish and handle heavy current. The action is the location of the flex in the rod but somewhat the flex of the rod in the action area also. That is why some rods are good for cat fishing and some are not so good. For the circle hooks that most of us use, the Moderate fast or fast action is best. Not to say others will not work but some are better than others. The power or backbone should he selected by the weight of the catfish you are going after. For Channels, a medium rod is almost perfect. For Blues I would recommend Medium Heavy rods and for really huge fish, bringing in fish in heavy current or wanting to horse a fish because of structure and snags I would want a heavy rod.

Some don't have the money at the time they need a rod and have to settle for what will overall cover their needs. A medium heavy rod is too strong for channel cats normally but will catch them just the same.

Most good catfish rods are made out or a form of fiberglass. Because of the power of a big cat, and the ability of fiberglass to provide tremendous flex when fighting a fish it is the most sought after right now. Graphite rods have there place but do not always make the best catfish rod because they can break when under a heavy bend. But, if you are wanting a bottom bumping rod, even though it is not the best material for its bending limitations, it is a very light material and can be more friendly when you are handling it all day. So it is a lose a little of this to gain a little of that option.

Now looking at the material the eyes and tip are made out of can also be very important Braid can be very destructive.

With the original topic, I think the idea is that the manufactures need to conform their description of a rod to a testable standard. The rod you get in the mail does not always coincide to what its description implies.

Won't be long now and the big river will be back in fishing condition. I'm itching to get on the Ohio.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Doc-a-boo, surfcat and tall_jason79 like this.

3. truman13

truman13 Member

State:
    warsaw, mo
    Name:
    Lloyd
    good reply Tom

4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Chuck, I forgot to mention that the page you posted is the best information I have seen describing what Power and Action mean, with pictures.

Thanks.

5. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    Most of the time i find it better to pay more attention to what oz. the rods are rated for. It gives you a much better idea of what type rod you will be getting.
    A medium/heavy rod that is rated for up to 10oz will be much stiffer than a heavy rod that is rated for up to 5 oz.
    All 3 ratings have to be considered together, action, power and weight rating.

Doc-a-boo, surfcat and twaskom like this.
  6. BBK

BBK Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree.

Forget about line ratings though, they are pretty meaningless unless talking about micro guides in the bass world, or fly rods.

Lure ratings (weight ratings on catfish/surf gear) are what i look at to determine how much power the rod will have (or should have). This translates all the way down to the ultralight panfish gear as well. Some companies are off on their lure ratings, but it is much more reliable than "m, mh, h etc".

Like above, some MH are rated to 8-10oz, others are rated to 3-4. Totally different rods, and looking at the weight rating will show that.

Don't forget about reverse action as well, like the diawa beefstick. It is pretty much a fast action rod turned around, stiff and doesnt bend until the foregrip, then bends in the grip and reel seat.

Doc-a-boo likes this.
  7. tall_jason79

tall_jason79 Active Member

State:
    Saint Louis, Mo
    Unfortunately, there is no true standard in the fishing rod world. A company rates the rods how ever they feel suitable instead of a set standard where a deflection board is used. I have seen "heavy" action rods that are closer to a MH. I look for the lure rating and the rod speed, usually i prefer a moderate to moderate fast tip. It seems they work well for a light bite with circle hooks. The great thing is there is a rod out there for anyones style of fishing, you just have to find it. Personally, i am not a fan of the color scheme, but that leads back to my previous sentence..... you can't please everyone! Confidence in your gear is your best partner

truman13 and Chop1 like this.
  8. ff1964

ff1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Looks like a great rod.

9. Doc-a-boo

Doc-a-boo Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guarantee there is no similarity between the ws m/h and the m/h TWC. For sure.
    I prefer the TWC and rippin lips m/h over the ws any day.

Blade4130 likes this.
  10. tommeboy

tommeboy Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not me. Rippin Lips feel too cheap to me. All the chrome or SS is gone off of every guide on the Med, and Med/hvy RL I have. Plus I had to glue both rod eyes back on. And one of the butt caps fell off the med/hvy too. They need to go back to China and tell them to use better materials

11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Now that surprises me. I have 4 Rippin Lips M/H rods and have used them for 2 years now. I have caught a fair number of fish with them including the one in my avatar and they have always preformed well. I have not had to do anything to them except get them to the water. I will have to say I do not compare them to expensive rods but for a $40 rod, I consider them one of the best available. I feel the power and action of the M/H is just about perfect for Blues or flatheads. They will work for channel cats but for the smaller ones, they are a little over kill. Of course I don't think they were made for them. I like that they are made in the United States and the company is in Pennsylvania. I figure we have had enough manufactures that have gone to China.

Doc-a-boo likes this.
  12. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    My Rippin lips rods have been great

Doc-a-boo likes this.
  13. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    Yep, i have several rippin lips heavy rods that have been abused pretty badly and they are still going great. Hope the same quality is there when i get the itch for some new ones

Doc-a-boo likes this.
  14. rnickel17

rnickel17 Well-Known Member

State:
    Aurora, IL.
    Name:
    Ray
    I would have Never thought to buy a whisker whip, until the TWC Guys convinced me at the Catfish Conference.
    Now I love the rods for fishing on the rock river. It has an action I really like for circle hook fishin.

15. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    When I think of the Whisker Whip rod, I'm thinking channel cats mostly. Then I think about buying a few. Now my channel cat rods are older and are Ugly Stik, 8'6" Salmon / Steelhead rods. The tip of the rod is about a big as a pencil lead. Very small but very flexible also. Caught a lot of channels on them, some good sized and always enjoy seeing that rod bend 90 degrees.

Now I won't try to tell anyone that these are the best channel rods out there. I wouldn't believe it if I even said it. But I have 4 to fish with, they catch fish and of course they are paid for.

If I look across my living room right now, I can count 17 rods and reels. All ready to go. That is not counting the 5 or 6 more on inclosed porch and an unknown number in the garage. At some point, the wife got tired of hearing me say, "these new rods I ordered are special". Now I have decided to pick my battles a little more cautiously.

surfcat likes this.
  16. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tom,
    Fishing rods are like our children; they are all special in their own way and we love them all!

...W

Doc-a-boo, CatDawg71 and twaskom like this.
  17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I got one last week, going to be a great river rod, anyone close wants to handle it stop on by. I also just ordered 2 whisker seekers today, should have before the week is out sure hope they are worth the money. Had a whisker whip from twc a few years back that gave away at the Illinois gathering, it was impressive.