New model lowe boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by micah5634, Feb 4, 2007.

1. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    I got to go to the lowe boat factory friday and look at the new for 07 an165 it is a deep vee 16.5ft 70in bottom with no carpet it is rhino lined with rod holders in the back of the boat i have not owned very many boats and have been looking for a catfish rig for the mo river i compared this to a lowe 1860 roughneck and this 16 footer has alot more floor space due to it has no rear deck seams like it would work great for river fishing here is a link tell me what you think even though its a deep vee i dont think you would have any trouble on th mo river.After leaving the factory i went to a lowe dealer for a price. i can get this boat with a 70hp suzuki 4 stroke for 12750.00 or they had a rough neck 2070 side console with a 90hp 2 stroke mercury for 12300.00 would love to here some opionions from people that have fished big rivers http://www.lowe.com/fishboats/angler/AN165Stdc.html

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah I was looking at those at the cincinatti boat show. From what I can tell, it looks like it would be a good boat.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Now thats what I've been looking for.. Now if I can just talk the wife outta buying a pontoon boat..

4. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    I was very surprised that it had more room then the 1860 jon boat.They won't be making any more of them till march 19th may have to wait.Going to the boat show in st louis next weekend i hope their is one there so i can look at it again my wife even loved how it looked

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Micha,
    I have a roughneck 2070 center console boat. Its been a good boat for me so far. It hasn't given Me too much to complain about, just one little spongy spot in the floor (needs a couple of new rivits, easy fix).

My next boat will be similar to that one, I know a some folks who run that style of boat and they love them! Make sure You get a walk thru windshield, so you can get a cover for those cold or wet days! I would figure the walk thru would also give you and your buddy something to hide behind when those asain carp start jumping round the boat!

Go get it and come Join us for some of the tournys this Year at Kaw Point! click the link in My signature for details.

6. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Brad i looked at the 2070 lowe side console i liked how much floor space it had but in the rear of the boat it still had that big deck in the way compared to the vee bottom boat i have it narrowed down to either this vee bottom or the 2070 lowe need to have them side by side to compare.

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I hear Ya on that rear deck, I wish mine was gone. I've rod a rod rack along the back of My boat about tummy high, I've often thought about building a rail down the sides of the back deck to make sure everyone stays in the boat when they are fighting fish. The V bottom boat with no back deck will be a little safer. The downrigger mounts should provide a good mounting spot for a rod rack if You decided to build one, that also a plus for that boat. Either way You can get on the water and start chasing around some fish!

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looks like a nice boat Micah. I too would look into a walk thru winshield so side curtains could be added for bad weather. I didn't see any thing listed on it for a live well, does it have one?

9. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hi Micah
    I've got the 2070 lowe roughneck and I like it really well but it's a center console. the one I have has the crestliner name stuck on it ... the crestliner 2070 was actually just a lowe roughneck but if mine was a side console and I was by myself or anyone else the boat would tilt as the V bottom isn't flat across the back so it tilts easily ... I think the side console would be a pain if you were running by yourself unless you put a big bait tank on the left side of the boat.

does that 16 footer have a built-in fuel cell or does it use the 6 gallon fuel tanks that are always in the way? that's the reason I wanted the boat I have now as the built-in tank was one of my top priorities. the 2070 also has a lot more room than a person thinks ... you need to get into both boats and compare them that way instead of just looking at them also. you don't really get a feel of how much room they have unless you step into them so be sure to do that when you compare them. the 2070 lowe roughneck will probably be a lot more comfortable when out on the water due to it's size and you also have to take into consideration the roading of your boat ... if you've got a small pickup like an isuzu with a manual transmission you'll have to get a new truck to pull the 2070. I did that hahaha. my little isuzu coughed up a lung trying to pull that 2070 out of the water one day. hadda talk my wife into buying me a new pickup after I bought the boat .. that wasn't an easy sell to say the least.

10. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    No it does not have a live well or wiring for a trolling motor no big deal for me because i just use a 5 gal bucket with an areator to keep my bait alive and since it has a built in cooler if i deceided to keep a couple of fish i can throw them in my cooler i almost alway catch and release all my fish anyways.Those downrigger plates would be perfect to build a rod rack.

11. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Yes it does have a built in 27 gal fuel tank built under the front deck.As far as towing I have a ford explorer that rated to tow up to 5000 lbs should not be a problem for either one i don't think.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Might be a nice boat if it wasn't so short. 16 ft is way too small unless you're fishing alone most of the time -- you'll be tripping over your equipment, your coolers, your anchors and anyone else in the boat with you.

If they'd make that boat in a 20 footer with a .125" hull and sides, they might have something.

You'll be happier in a 2070 Roughneck, giant rear deck or not. And you'll feel a whole lot safer out on the Missouri in a bigger boat.

Tracker is jumping on the same bandwagon as everyone else is with these "stripped down" boats but at least they're offering a 20 ft model: http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.home&boat=2368

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For me, it would come down to questions of just how much room I need in the boat, and how big the water I want to take it on. My Lowe 16' handles the Arkansas River just fine, and I'd take it on the Mississippi, but have to really watch for the standing waves and whirlpools. But it really starts to get crowded with more than 3 people in it. I bought my 20' Kenner just so I'd feel more comfortable on the Mississippi, and so I'd have more room when I have the grandkids along. It's got as much room as a 20' pontoon.

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bigger Is Always Better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a 1960 Roughneck with a 90 Merc 2 stroke, and it will get with the program. The transom gave me trouble because I pulled a big bass boat 7 miles on KY lake. [ He had a rod hanging out the side of a 150 Mariner] They fixed it under warrenty and when I got it back, I stiffened up the back with a piece of 3/8 alluminum dock plate. Mine was only rated for 80HP and I stuck the 90 on. [ that was some of the problem I'll bet]

I'm happy with mine. I hit a tree with the front and had to redo that [ Hey Alcohol was Involved] [ Give me a break]

If they had a 2070 in 1999 when I bought mine, I would own one.

I looked at one in Rockport, IN at the dealer, boy it is nice. But they wanted 10k+ for it without the motor. I could not handle that, it seems it took a 150 hp. Hey it just came to me, That was a Warrior Boat. Gosh it was nice.

The Lowe Roughnecks are not bad boats, not the best, but not bad. I think I gave 3600 for mine with the center consel and gave another 5k for the motor from NY in 1999. I built my own trailer. Hey I'm cheap. And if I had it to do over, I would have looked on Ebay and bought a used boat.

A lot of people don't abuse a boat like I do, so There are some nice ones out there. For less than 1/2 the price of a new one. Take the money you save and get your wife a nice used truck camper, then you can fish anywhere/anytime.

15. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    the 2070 lowe is rated up to a 115hp do you all think the 70hp suzuki 4 stroke would be ok on it. its either the suzuki 70 4 stroke or a 90hp mercury 2 stroke i would rather have the 4 stoke if it will push the boat..

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You won't be happy with a 70 hp 4-stroke. I wouldn't put less than 90hp on a Roughneck 2070.

17. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    go with the 90 and a SS prop, It'll push it good. mine will hit 40MPH+ and I haul a lot of gear!

18. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    I know bigger is better but the deep vee has 25in deep sides compared to 21 in of a 1860 rough neck and has about 2 foot more open floor space it's also a little wider then a 1860 it is 16.5 feet long compared to 18ft of a 1860 rough neck and has about twice the floor space of a 1860 center console i guess iam just trying to figure out if it's big enough for me my son and wife I would really like to have the 2070 but i just measured and i don't think it will fit in my garage.that being why i compared it to the 1860 my have to take a hard look at the boat show this weekend to maybe find a 18 ft deep vee to look at.

19. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Mine won't fit in the garage either, it lives in the back Yard.

An 18' roughneck is a lot smaller then a 20' Roughneck. in a 18 You would be cramped with three fishing.

I really think you would like a V with a walk thru windshield. Hopefully You can find an 18'er you like. I'm tellin Ya I love My 2070 but would trade it for a nice V With a WTW.

Just remember to get all the motor You can afford, an underpowered boat is no fun.

20. micah5634

micah5634 New Member

State:
    mo
    Iam going to check on a polarkraft v186 outlander tommorrow it's 18.6 feet with a 72" bottom no carpet wide open floor space and lockable rod storage with 2 llivewells.hopefully it's in my price range