New MO Regulation regarding Asian Carp

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr.T, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Just got my new issue of Missouri Conservationist and noticed a fishing regulation change that may affect some of you:

Bighead Carp and Silver Carp may be used only as dead or cut bait -- using them as LIVE bait is prohibited.

The obvious reason for this is to prevent the spread of those dang things.

Best I can tell, the new regulation go into effect Mar 1 (the usual date that reg changes take effect) but the article didn't specifically say one way or the other.

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Thanks for the information Marty, I can't imagine them enforcing that on the Missouri but I guess they could if they wanted to, little late though.
    I expect to see or hear of them in every good size river in this state and surrounding states within the next few years. The way they are taking over the Mo River I can't see much thats going to stop them from spreading everywhere else. Hope I'm wrong. I doubt that even the dams will stop them for long and they'll soon be in our reservoirs if they aren't already. I'm guessing we will be about as successful in stopping them as we have been with the zebra mussels.I know that sounds like negative thinking but what's going to stop them?

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never Tried netting bait in the Mo river. Never wanted to depend on getting bait there, we always take bait with us. Do you guys that do ever get baby Asian carp in your throw nets. I was wanting to try this summer, I guess if I catch em I will have to cut them in half.
    :roll_eyes:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I catch them every now and then on the mississisppi in my bait nets. They range in size from 6 to 14 inches, and make great bait. I use them either live, or cut.

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Cuz , what do you use for bait nets? I read a post on here about shad trawls. I would like to learn how to catch bait on the river.
    (Makes sense to use for bait what there used to eating)

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Iam going to bring one to missouri gathering anyone that wants to try it can .
    not very good way to catch bait, my way of thinking.
    Jim

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Folks, We'll this old Master Meatcutter Loves to Solve Problems,and I would say that those Asin Carp,Silver Carp,and Bighead Carp are a problem and endangering are catfishing RIGHT. So I have been giveing this some thought lately and trying to come up with a solution and these are Two Ideas I have hit upon.I'll run them past You and see what You Think OK. First one.I belive they could be commeical fished and cought with nets and then be processed down and made into fish meal and be used for a protin supplement in anmal feed,I know they commerical fish Carp in the lakes up in Canada and do just that with them, could be a Money maker I belive. Second One.I have a friend that shoots the bighead Carp in the missouri river with Bow n Arrow and the are pure white meat and he has some friends he gives them to and they love them for table fair.Now I know that in the oceans of the world that fisherman commericial fish the lesser desiarable specias of fish and filet the meat off them and process it down into immatation crab meat,and immatation crab flakes, with immatation flavorings and sell tons of it, and call it immatation crab salad,most all of us have eaten it on crackers, or as a dip for chips.I Belive this would solve some problems and also put some Jingle in ones pocket.You Know Apple computer started with an Idea,and filled a need.I think this would not only help solve a problem but would fill a need for a product that is in demand.So What do You Think will it Work? J.D.
    :0a21:

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Good idea J.D. Make catfood out of them.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info. I did not know the asian carp was good bait. Obviously the are by reading the other responses. I snag the smaller ones sometime when fishing for skipjack. I will cut them up the next time.

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If money got involved the commercial guys would catch every thing with scales.

11. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Isn't commercial fishing still allowed on the Mississippi? I wonder if they fish for the asians. If there is a market for them, man it would have to be a big market, then I would think the conservation dept.. would be willing to work out some kind of arrangement where the commercial fishermen could use their nets and only keep the asians. They could be easily caught I think with the help of a motor boat to corral em. I can imagine filling a net full of them in a few minutes time in some of the places I fish. That could even be a problem, filling the net so full it couldn't be lifted , fifty 20 lb carp would be a pretty heavy lift.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    JD has the right idea. They need to enact legislation on all waters that has a big head carp population making it illegal for commercial fishermen to take any catfish. That would leave them with the big heads. Don't put a limit on how many big heads they can harvest and in 15 or 20 years you can set around talking about that big head carp problem we used to have. LOL

13. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    can you catch them on rod and reel? if so whats a good bait.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I use the little 4 and 5 foot bait nets you can buy at Walmart for 20 bucks. With a little practice you can get them to open up real nice, and once you know where to find the bait, its merely a 20 minute activity to fill the bait well up. I like the cheap 20 dollar ones, because the Miss and MO rivers are full of rock revetments, stumps, snags etc, and its no sweat off my back if I lose a cheap net. I use to have a 300 dollar net and lost it to a snag. Never again. Just about all the Walmarts in the area carry them. They come in a small plastic container, (which makes a great storage device for your keys, wallet, etc) and they are usually blue. Pick you one up and practice with it until you can get it to open up every time your throw and your ready to catch bait. Make a post on here to inquire where the threadfin and Gizzard shads are at, and you will know where to concentrate your efforts. Good Luck

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    The exotic asian carps are filter feeders and feed on plankton and algae in the water column. The fear is the asians will deplete the algae sources which is a primary forage of the threadfin herrings and gizzard shads which are a staple of the catfish's diet. You cannot catch the asians on hook and line, however I reckon a person might be able to "snag" into one if he needed bait. :cool2:

16. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    what kind of carp is it that jumps when the boats go by?

17. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I have a couple buddies that go down to the river and troll around behind the dikes and shoot at them with shotguns when they jump. New sport?? Maybe asian carp skeet tournaments?? Something needs to be done about those intruders. Anyone have any ideas how long these nasty things have been in our waters?? I caught my first one in the little platte river in 1993.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats the exotic asian carp Ben. More specifically, its the big head carps.

http://www.sfishinc.com/bhcarp.html

Here is some specifics. Hope it helps. Cuz

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Story I received was they escaped from fish farms in the big flood of 1993 so that would explain why you saw your first one then.

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I believe it is the Silver Carp that does all the jumping. It is another asian exotic. It turns out that they are quite tasty.