New Mexico Elk Hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Mark R., Jun 18, 2008.

1. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Got notified this morning that me and 2 friends were drawn for elk tags, never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that we would draw out as they only issue 15 for non residents in that area.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Must be living right. Good luck. Let us know how your team does.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mark ,I'm glad ya drew out,I quit trying for any draw permits after I learned we have to alot 25% of the tags to out of state hunters,Nothing personal,but I am sick of seeing our big game in rich lawyer/doctor type vehicles goin down the hyway. I also have a problem with the extremely high prices we pay when they charge what they do to out of state tags,I can hunt deer in OK cheap as I can hunt elk here.

4. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Why are you whining about high license prices for residents? You can have bull license for $68! I have to pay $775 for a non resident.
    If Oklahoma or Kansas had more than the handfull of elk tags they issue put together I wouldn't have to be one of those out of state hunters spending a butt load of cash to another states fish and game department, thus help keeping the license fees you residents pay down and improving the wildlife habitat for your state.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Not whining,Mark.Just giving you my opinion of it. I remember when our resident tags were 25.00 and non resident were 200.00 that wasnt very long ago.Pronghorn fees have gone outrageous as well. Guess they have to justify gas prices some how :big_smile:

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Geeze I hunt New Mexico every year for elk and have for the last 8 years. We buy a cow tag and go out every January, harvest our cow and come home. We spend around $1,000.00 turn key and have a ball doing it.Our success ratio is between 75-100%. It is a wee bit cool during the hunt though. Nights are around 0% to 25 below.

catman george

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

I understand what you are saying, but, still would like to send congrats out to Mark. I hope you have the hunt of a lifetime. We don't have the chance to hunt any big game other than bear and deer here in NY, I'm afraid I will have to be one of the "Out of Staters" to get the chance to hunt elk, moose, caribou, etc...... It will comfort you to know that if you see me goin' down the highway with one, it'll be in the back of a rusty old pickup truck, with a pressure treated bed.........LOL

Richard

8. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
    Best of luck to you for a successful and safe hunt.I'm planning on returning to Idaho this fall and try my hand at the elk there.

9. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK

I know about old pickups.
    By October my Dodge will have about 360,000 miles on it, I'm sure she will make the trip fine.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Congrats on the draw, hope to see some pics of a successful harvest.