New metal detector

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Believer, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I just bought an inexpensive detector & was wanting to know if any of you are familiar with this model and if you have any tips for me.
    It's a Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
    I bought it at Wally World for $73.00

Eric

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric I have not used that detector. I will say your getting into a great hobby. There is something about the thought of the next item you dig up may be of value. Enjoy your detector and keep us updated on what you find.:big_smile:

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I had always wanted one, but finally broke down after my wife and son lost a few arrows at the archery range. Those suckers really bury themselves under the grass. It took a bit, but I found them. :big_smile:

I haven't used it much, but so far all i've found has been junk, 1 quarter and 1 penny.

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi Eric. I've recently developed an interest in MD'ing myself. Due to health reasons I'm having to find a new hobby, and MD'ing caught my eye.

That being said, I can't really give you any experienced advice, other than advice I've picked-up in the past few weeks from reading. The MD you just bought probably won't do much for you. The most common reply I've seen for someone in the market for a good MD at an affordable price it the Garrett Ace 250, $212 delivered. I've decided when I can afford one, that's the one I'll get. In the meantime, dads got a couple & can use.

If you have kids , you could always pass the BH down to them once you found a replacement should you decide to continue the quest for lost treasure. :wink:

Good luck hunting!
    Smitty

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to agree years ago I bought a Cheapie well wasnt cheap for me but all I could afford at time and spent more time digging up pop tops beer tabs and other useless junk. But I did find a 1858-0 dime once. I want to get back into it but saving my nickles to get a higher priced one that I can tune out junk. Sorry couldnt be of more help. Good luck to you!!

6. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    you will also need a good set of full coverup headphones to use with it . this will help you here beeps on the detector that the speaker wont let yu here .

7. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    Believer, I,ve been involved with metal detecting for over 20 years and I think you should go to "Kellyco Metal Detectors "Site and look at many different kinds of detectors and read up on them. I have gotten 3 detectors from Kellyco over the years and they are a very good company to deal with. They will do you right every time. Detectors are just like cars you can get a volkswagon a chevey,or a cadalac. You get what you pay for! Some of the best brand names are Whites,Garrett, or Minelab. Some can be very expensive and some very reasonable.Its just what you are willing to spend on one. I have a Whites MXT,a Garrett Ace 250,and a Whites Beach Hunter ID for the beach. The Ace just found a civil war bullet the other day. This is a very good detector for the price. Good luck on the hunting!

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Maybe someday i'll buy a good one, but for now i'll stick with the cheapie. It's already paid for itself just by finding lost arrows. At $6-10 a piece it doesn't take long to recoup $75. LOL

9. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A metal detector is only good if you use it! I found a mans class ring that had been in the ground for 23 years with a 75 dollar detector from Sears years ago. I now hunt with a Whites XLT but nothing has been as exciting as that first gold ring. Did I dig a lot of trash with it? You bet! You got to dig trash targets to find the good.
    Good luck!
    Wooly

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    You will do fine with it..i'm sure it has some discrimination with it, set it up a little past center..throw some coins on the ground along with a chunk of lead..soon you will be able to tell what you got by the sound of it..if ever in doubt..dig..my best find was almost not dug..I had been searching a playground near a old house, I guess i dug up 6-7 zinc mason jar lids and hit another one..i passed it by but something made me step back so i dug it..and it turned out to be a US belt buckle..I nearly passed right then..I bought my daughter the elcheapo tesoro and we have both dug bullets with it..I did have a whites 6000di coinmaster but sold it and bought one of the higher priced bounty hunters...I love it..I just never get to use it..

11. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    The most valuable item ever dug was a silver bowl or vase that some real important person drank out of a thousand years ago....it was found beside the ruins of a roman church or something like that..anyway..the guy was using a "toy" detector.I read the article in one of my treasure mags years ago and cant recall the full description..

12. scout1963

scout1963 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've always been fascinated by the prospecting and metal detecting game, but never knew anyone that did it. I'm glad to find some folks that have some experience, and can "show me the ropes", so to speak.

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    The Bounty Hunter is an OK machine to start and learn with. Metal detecting is like anything else. practice practice practice. Have some one hide some items in then you find them. School yards and the beach seems to always produce some coins and sometimes jewelry.

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have a New metal Detector for about two years now and have not used it yet. It is a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I hope to get out and use it one of these days!:embarassed:

15. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I know a guy who took his metal detector out to try out on his front lawn and found this just recently,

Attached Files: