Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by MaîtreDePoisson, Sep 21, 2007.

1. MaîtreDePoisson

MaîtreDePoisson New Member

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Hello all! I'm new here and to fishing in general. I used to catfish a lot as a young boy at my great grandfather's farm, but his pond wasn't more than an acre or so, so it didn't take much skill to catch a few catfish.

I'm curious about everything. What sort of line should I use? Bait? Times of day? As I said in another topic, I an't looking for giant catfish for pure sport, but for catfish on the smaller end that I can fry up whole and eat. Also, is it true that you can catfish in the colder months? I've heard a few people say it's one of the best times, and I'd love to fish during the winter since I dislike a lot of heat, but what would I need to do differently as far as bait, times of day and all of that if I were to go catfishing in the winter?

Thanks!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you don't like heat, your avatar don't look like Antarctica. If you are as interesting as your avatar you will get along well here. Some of these people are dangerous. Some of them are even Irish. You should get along well. Welcome aboard HMSS BOC. John

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome, Eliott...

I'm one of the guys he warned you about.!:oops:

All of your questions are answered here on these threads. (The answers to all of the rest of the questions you're gonna think of are there too!)

Enjoy yourself... and be sure to sign up for the giveaways.:smile2:

4. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Eliott!!!

5. MaîtreDePoisson

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Thanks for the welcomes! I'm glad I found this site; there's more information here than I would've thought to ask about.:big_smile:

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well welcome, it may take a little bit of time but you will find all the answers you need here.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Like the others I will stick to just welcoming you to the pack for now. -Enjoy-

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are targeting Big trophy cats then I recommend either Nick-a jack or chick. In chattanooga. There are some good ones in the cumberland river to.
    Welcome aboard and you just look in the sections marked for tackle and a wide variety of different tackle will pop up.
    BTW where is bells tenn located. I am in middle tenn. in warren co.

I see from your profile that you fish the Crockett and you need to come on over to pickwick this week end . a bunch of us will be there and will trat you so many ways you will bound to like one of them.

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC!!

10. MaîtreDePoisson

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    Thanks! Bells is around ten minutes from Jackson. The Davy Crockett lake I fish at is the one around in these parts of Tennessee, but I think there's another one named that in Greene County or somewhere over East Tennessee way. Kind of odd to have two lakes in the same state with the same name:tounge_out:

I'd love to come see Pickwick this weekend, but I haven't got access to a car and all right now, so I'll have to pass for now. Maybe next time!

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Eliott.

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear New Brother Eliott;
    First, {WELCOME ABOARD!:big_smile:}
    Second, Don't forget to look in our extensive archives! I believe you will find them to be of great assistance.
    Third, There is an Unwritten Rule here in the BOC. That is, "There are NO stupid questions!" Ask your questions because there is probably someone else that is too shy to ask the same thing your asking! Also, don't be afraid to put your "Two Cents" in a reply or if you know something to help answer someone else's question please, PLEASE, post/reply and share it with ALL of us! We all know a lot about a lot of things but there is nobody that knows everything all the time!
    You will find all of this to be a bit overwhelming at first! Everybody does when they first join up. This is natural and you will soon get over it! :wink:
    Fourth, HAVE FUN!!!:big_smile::smile2: This is what our site is about. The sharing of information, good times, and to help each other in the pursuit of the Catfish. No matter if your looking for a record "BIGGUNN" or if your wanting something to take to the frying pan from time to time, or something in between. We are all here to help each other. And, if we don't know the answers to your questions, we know, or can find, someone who CAN answer your questions! :)
    Again, {Welcome Aboard} I look forward to seeing your posts in the days, months, and years ahead!
    If I, or any other Brother or Sister may be of assistance all you have to do is "ASK?" :wink:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eliott Welcome to the BOC.Be sure and check out the library.

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Welcome To The BOC. :big_smile:

16. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Welcome to The BOC family. :big_smile:

17. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    Eliott welcome to the B.O.C. there is lots of info to be found on this site that will help you out

18. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Welcome to the BOC Eliott.

19. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

20. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC, and good luck fishin'.