new member with some questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by vamil, Aug 11, 2009.

1. vamil

vamil New Member

State:
    VA
    Great site. I live in Botetourt County just north of Roanoke. Anyone know of any good places around here to catch a few catfish? I have fished the James a little years ago and the Maury. Looking to get back into it and take the son out. No boat, I'll be fishing from the bank only. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    welcome to the BOC youll find lots of good info here:cool2:

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Kevin. Not from that area, but I am sure someone will be able to help you out. May even find someone to go with and show you a few things. Andrew

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kevin welcome to the B.O.C. also check out the local VA thread ,i'm sure u can get some info there :wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I hope you find the fishing Honey Hole your asking about.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Kevin.

8. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Kevin welcome to the BOC. if you are up to a little road trip the New River has several good bank fishing places for cats as does Claytor lake. If you are interested PM me and I will try to lead you to a couple of spots around the area. Roanoke and Staunton rivers are a good bet as well, but i am not as familure with the areas there.

9. vamil

vamil New Member

State:
    VA
    Steve, thanks for the response. I would like to try some of the areas you are talking about.

10. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC good luck with the cats.

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kevin welcome to the BOC im from the Lynchburg area.

12. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Your in a good area for cats. Channel cats and Flatheads. Downfall, theres only a handful of places to catch cats anymore. To many leaving trash or party'in on the bank and the private owners are posting, POSTED signs. But I'll list a few areas you'll be able to bank fish..

Downtown Buchannon. The park area is good for Channels and flatheads.. Up stream from the boat ramp is deep, up to the first set of riffles and dont be afraid to fish just below the riffles, the Channel cats will feed below those riffles, expecially just at dusk. Either Drift your baits or use enough weight to hold them on the bait in the pool just below the riffles. Many baits, ive had success with is,... Small cut chubs, crawdads, chicken livers and small live baits For channel cats. For flatheads, use live bait Such as sunfish, chubs or purchase some Jumbo Minnows. And dont be surprised when that 5lb smallmouth attacks your live bait. But flatheads range around 5-15lbs and some up into the mid 20lb range. Areas to fish is just down from the riffles to the boat ramp. Theres one spot with a small group of trees, i've had good success at....

Also in Buchannon take a right just past the exxon and drive down until you get to the Rock Quarry (sp?) and theres a pull off right beside the water treatment were you can dump Brush. You can Park there, and fish from just infront of the water treatment area and downstream. Its good fishing there. Channel Cats and flatheads

area #2 Drive down to the arcadia boat launch. Its a walk to launch, you park and walk down the area you drag your boat to. Once your down there, walk upstream from the bridge and you can walk up to an area were the opposite side of the channel drops deep, you'll see and the fishing for Flatheads and channels can be good. Its kinda of a wading area. Or you can wade out, cast your bait and walk back to the shore and place your rod into a holder.. Same baits as above..

Area#3 Eagle Rock. theres a Handful of areas here. You can either turn right onto the bridge then left at the stop sign and theres a park area just beside the 3 big Silo's. You have to walk to the river now, due to mud boggers tearing it up down there. (p.s. I havn't had no part in that in 5+ years haha) But its not far of a walk to the river. Alot of space to fish, Mostly Channel cats, but some flatheads. Also dead across from the river is were Craigs creek dumps in. You cna also access this road, as its a public boat launch. You can drive down to the river, 4wd, drop off your stuff, then park up on the top of the hill.. BACK on the Silo side, drive past the silos and you'll see a pull off on the left, with a trail down to the river, good County of Botetourt even build a walk tunnel to get under the railroad for the fishermen. Area here to fish to.. Use same baits and tactis as first area.

Down Town Eagle Rock.. Drive through the town, dont sneeze or you'll drive right past it. You'll see the Elec power fenced off. You can park here, and theres a trail that goes over the railroad and to the river, dont worry. Its legal access. But limited area to fish, but its good fishing. Heavily pressured, but the right bait will make a good night for you. Its a DEEP pool just down from the riffles and a great area for both Channels and Flatheads and Big smallmouth. Same baits as above. A live bait or a crawdads can score you a bonus big smallie here. You can fish the area were the path brings you to, or jump a few rocks were the creek dumps in and it'll put you on a point were you can fish the riffles and/or the pool...

that really about sums up the public fishing areas. Theres a few more, but you have to get permission. But thats about like getting Obama to Make sense. But thats alot of river to explore for a long while. Get you a lantern and alot of bug spray and you'll have a good time.

for tackle, use rods that will hold around 1-2ounces of weight. 15-20lb line and 20-30lb leaders, for abrasion resistance against the rocks. A simple carolina rig will suffice just fine. And hooks to match the bait. 2/0-3/0 for channels and 5/0-6/0 for the flatheads.

also your not far from me here at Smith Mountain lake. You'd be welcome for you and your son to venture over here and board my boat for some catfish or striper action. Let me know about that...

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the outstanding information, Travis! :cool2:

14. vamil

vamil New Member

State:
    VA
    Travis, thanks for the info. Which of the places you mentioned would you suggest trying first?

15. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    WElcome to the BOC

16. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I'd try Buchannon first. Its easy access, you just park at the playground lot. and it offers a good chance at catfish or smallmouth...

17. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC.. look in the Virgina Catfishing section.. all the updated info your looking for will be held there.:wink:

18. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    in addition to all the places Travis said, alittle farther downstream is another great spot. take rt501 out of glasgow over the mountain towrards snowden, just before the road comes back along the river there is a picknic wayside. park and walk to the end and there is a path down to the river. right there is a good aspot or you can walk up the rr teracks upstream into balcony falls. I've caught lots 0f 20-25# flatties around there.
    chip