new member/ verde river catfishing

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by Gabrielxx, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Gabrielxx

Gabrielxx New Member

State:
    Arizona
    sup all, been watchin the site for a few days, reading around. And being relatively new to fishing (i do it on and off, just now really starting to get into it).

i found allot of good info, but my question is about the verde river around camp verde (beasley flats or gap creek area, but mostly beasley flats). i've just started fishing the beasley flat area and been catching tons of 1lb or so bass on spinners and worms, and a few 3+ pound pikeminnows (release these ofcourse) but only 1 small channel(1lb).

my question is if anyone here has knowledge of these areas. is there a good number of catfish around these areas? if so when is the best time to try for em, what bait, water depth/current ect? thx :wink:

P.S.dont really care about size, just lookin to catch some =)

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC.

3. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'm not sure where the area you are talking about is, but i have fished the thousand oaks area and it seemed they really like cut carp and red tail minnows. That was many years ago. I'm not sure you can even fish there anymore. There was alot of construction back then. Pretty much can't go wrong with cut bait for cats in general. Try fish that come from that river and are legal for cut bait. I have never caught a flathead past sheeps bridge above horseshoe. All channels when i fished thousand oaks. Welcome to the BOC.

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Cameron to the BOC!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC from So.Alabama

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC. You joined the best site around.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome from dayton ohio

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Soory can't help you there ,But welcome to the BOC/SOC from So>Alabama

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the boc

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Cameron,
    I live in the area, and I fish the Verde occassionally, Haven't caught any decent catfish, nailed some awesome carp, earlier in the year before the water dropped. Since it got real muddy, i haven't had any luck...

hence the name,, Dirty Verde

12. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC from So.Alabama

13. Gabrielxx

Gabrielxx New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yea, i just moved to the area (live in dewey so camp verde is like 25 minutes away). wanted to try goldwater lake for channels since i hear theres some big 1ns there but the day i went it was closed because of a fire nearby.

like i said, even with it muddy, been doin great on bass(quantity not exactly quality :wink:) with a spinner, biggest ive caught there being almost 2 pounds and 3 even bigger pikeminnows. didnt get to weigh them cause i wanted to release em asap(they are 1 of the endangered species).

recently i found a crystal clear lagoon thats completely seperate from the main flow. caught a ton of sunfish/bluegills and bass(used nightcrawlers since the water is so clear). if you walk slow enough around the acessable side of the lagoon(the deep end is bordered by marsh and cattails) you can see TONS of bass, mostly smaller, with a good number of 1-2 pounders. but i happened to see one that i deffinently didnt expect to see on the verde. must have been 3-4pounds easy. tossed him my worm and he didnt seem interested. ill be back to try for him, its not like he can go anywhere :smile2: