New Member/River Access Question

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by GatorAg03, Jun 14, 2007.

1. GatorAg03

GatorAg03 New Member

State:
    Texas - I move a lot
    I just moved to NC for a few months and was looking online for a place to catfish when I came across this site. This site has a lot of good info and I was hoping some of you veterans could assist me with the some good boat access points.

I live in Jacksonville and based on what I have read here, it seems that I should focus my efforts on the Neuse and the Cape Fear. I have an 18ft aluminum boat with a jet engine on it, so I can run in most water.

If anyone has any suggestions on boat ramps or areas to try I would appreciate it. I am not familiar with any of these rivers so any decent access points would help my learning curve tremendously. I mostly target blues or flatheads. I don't mind driving for some decent fishing so any boatramps within a few hours from Jacksonville would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help and tight lines.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the bOC from Missouri Phillip.

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    WELOCOME TOTHE BOC,

5. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Like the other posters have stated, "Welcome"! I do not get the opportunity to go out often, but when I do I usually fish near the locks at Elizabeth town, NC. This is in eastern NC and it is located on the Cape Fear river. There are two boat launches that we have used but I prefer the one at the locks. I have caught fish from both, but this is just my preference.

Anyway, welcome to North Carolina and good luck fishing!:lol:

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

7. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    welcome to the boc from sc:smile2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Philip Welcome to the BOC.:lol::smile2:

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.

10. redticrunner

redticrunner New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    welcome to the BOC, best place in the world.

11. GatorAg03

GatorAg03 New Member

State:
    Texas - I move a lot
    Thanks for the welcome.

I made it out to the Neuse river by Spring Garden this Saturday. I had just caught some perch for bait and was getting set up when the weather started looking pretty bad. I got caught by the hail and rain before I could make it off the water.

Your weather definitely welcomed me to North Carolina. The river looked promising so I'll have to try again next weekend.

12. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Welcome to the boc

13. idolg

idolg New Member

State:
    Colfax, NC
    Welcome to the BOC and to NC. Great info here!

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    if you havent fiishing in a hurrican then you havent fished.

15. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!

16. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    Welcome to the BOC! I'm new my self. I live in Hubert and me and my buddy do a lot catfishing(not so much catching!!) around hear. There are 4 ramps we use that are relatively close to J-villle. If your looking for a bunch of eating sized cats and bullheads and don't want to drive far you can put in on the White Oak at Haywood landing off of 58 between Maysville and Swansboro. There are 2 we use on the NE Cape Fear. One is about 5 miles down Shaw Highway off of 53 and the other is at the end of Whitestocking Rd also off 53. We've also put in a couple times in Kinston. We usually just catch channels. We have just recently got into fishing for the big boys and were still trying to figure it out!:angry_2: If you need a fishing buddy let me know. Good luck!

17. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    there is a great place to use in fayetteville jsut let me know if youa re interseted

18. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Welcome To The BOC !!:big_smile::embarassed::eek:oooh::lol:

19. GatorAg03

GatorAg03 New Member

State:
    Texas - I move a lot
    Thanks for the info. I went back out to the Neuse near spring garden again this past weekend. The weather was better, but not the fishing. I didn't even get a bite after soaking live and cut perch all evening. It didn't appear anyone else was doing any better. It's not worth driving 75 minutes each way for that kind of action, so I am giving up on that spot.

I'll try one of the spots ya'll recommended. I'll probably try the Cape Fear next.

Has anyone fished the New River for any kind of fish. That is by far the closest river, but I am near the ocean and it doesn't appear to get fished much. My guess is flounder, reds and trout would be my best bet out there.

If anyone needs a fishing buddy let me know. I have a boat all the gear and am in Jacksonville. I fish every weekend. I'll only be here for a couple of months and would like to expedite my learning curve on the fishing areas around here.

20. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Welcome to the BOC

I wouldn't give up on spring garden so easy, I fish there all the time and I usually load the boat, you just have to know where they are. I would be happy to show you some spots if you want to try it again.