New Member....Problem with the catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BGRUMBLES, Jul 24, 2006.

1. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey guys, new member here. My name is Ben and I am from central Ohio. Been catching cats since I was around 3 years old at my Grandpa's pond. Nice forum and glad to be here.
    My question is this, I read about circle hooks and decided to give them a run. Unfortunately i am getting a lot of short load ups and few hook sets. I use Gamakatsu Octupus Circles and have tried sizes 1, 4/o, and 5/o. I have also tried treble hooks and I got a real decent load up there but didn't get to my rod in time or I would have snagged that one. I am just wondering what the deal is. Right now I keep a tight line and I don't touch the rod,,,,,just wait for a good load up that hasn't happened. I tried a slightly slack line last night but nothing. The cats aren't really running with it they seem to be slamming it and that's it. Any advice would be appreciated. For bait I use shrimp, livers, whole shad, night crawlers, blue gill.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC Ben, always great to have another new member, especially one from Ohio. I am just south of ya in Ashville, Ohio.

I dont like Circles, but many do. I am more of a Kahle man, they can hook themselves or you can cross their eyes with em. Good luck man and if you ever want to hook up and wet a line just hollar.

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try using a bigger hook and try some j hooks so you can set the hook yourself. Also how are you hooking your bait? Make sure your hook point is fully exposed.

4. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    My hook point is good,,,,I am just in a spurt of bad luck I think. THanks for your advice though....I probably have baited up and not paid attention to that.

How do you guys hook your shrimp so they dont slide around on the hook?

5. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Teays....yeah we can fish anytime man. I got a cast net so bait is no issue as far as shad go...also I have spot where we can catch perfect bluegill about 2 per minute at least...usin wax worms. Let me know anytime during the week or weekend that you wanna meet up and we can go after them. I use lighter tackle mostly...but I have a few salmon poles from when I lived in Washington that I can use for big boys.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If the Cats are not loading the rod up fully, it may not be cats..It could be turtles, also very small channels will do that..I love circles..Make sure you hook the bait lightly, with plenty of exposed hook point..You are doing right by keeping your line tight and letting them try to load it up..If it's a decent cat, it will load it up..And your hook size is ok in my opnion..If you are fishing in a river gar will also do what you are explaining, they will start to laod the rod but as soon as they feel much pressure they will drop the bait..I am not far from you if you live in central Ohio.

7. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks man...really appreciate it. I think I may be hooking the bait too much then. Also...there is a great chance they are not cats especially with the shrimp. I am off Henderson Road near 270 and 315 intersection. What water you usually fish?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the scioto river down by chillicothe..If you are fising the scioto, I would be willing to bet most of those hits are turtles, and gar..Every channel cat and flathead I have caught in the scioto have slammed the rod down hard and kept it down.

9. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    I am fishing hoover reservoir mostly. I live close enough to the sciot to walk though so I will have to give that a try for sure. What is your bait of choice down there? You boat or bank fish for them?

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hey there Ben good to see a new member on here. Your right this is a great place to hang out. You can learn a whole lot from these guys/gals.Kick back and enjoy yourself. I'd say that your most likely getting hit by trutles or small fish. Nothing wrong with Circles. Again welcome.

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC. Sounds like flathunter's got ya pretty well covered. Tight lines!

-Red

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC, Ben...I didn't think there was anyone from Ohio that wasn't a member.:lol: If you can't get answers to your questions here, then there just isn't any answers...:lol:

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    have to agree there....just found this site a few days ago and I have been reading like crazy. Just can't wait to get out there with some of the local guys and get after them. Thanks for the input guys/gals....much appreciated

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Switch to j hooks if they aren't really hitting too aggressively... the circles tend not to work if the fish don't pull on them much at all... also wait till they start really going at it like pecking it pretty well then take the rod out of what ever your using for a holder tighten up till you feel the fish's weight and set the hook... you'll increase your hooks up tremendously...

15. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks photo...I think this is more the case here...that they are pecking at it sometimes. I have caught a few nice ones on shrimp out there last week....but they took it hard.

16. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC man. I was thinking that it was turtles too. Sounds like what those buggers do :confused2:. When the fish start biting you're gonna know that it aint a turtle.

17. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio

Yeah I think it might actually be bullheads and smaller fish....turtles are an issue as well...but I have had a lot of luck in the past with catfish.....I just took a 4 year break when I lived out west and caught a lot of salmon. Now getting back into it seems to be a pain. Thanks for all the words fellas......will keep everyone informed of my luck in the near future.

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Go to a bigger 8/0 octopus circle or a big Kahle hook. Make sure the point is completely exposed and dont have scales on it. Lots of info here on using circle hooks. When targeting flatheads, I like to free spool and wait for the final solid run before engaging the reel. Works good for me.

19. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey wolfman thanks for the solid feedback friend....I will be upping my hook size to compensate for the larger bait now. Unreal how many shad I can nab with the casting net I just got.....hahahahahah free bait for life!!!! and for the other central ohio folk. I met some great people out there fishing this past week and it has been awesome coming across this forum.

20. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Ben, welcome to the Brotherhood. It's nice to have a bigger family. These Ohio guys will show you the ropes. I'm not much help to you on the circle hooks. I haven't used them on catfish enough to have a fair opinion on them but I love to use them bream fishing. Anyway, just make yourself at home and enjoy this place right along with us.

ST