New Member of The Mellon Family of Carry Guns

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 22, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've wanted one of these for a VERY long time. I traded a couple of other guns to get this today:

Colt Government Model .380 Mark IV Series 80

This gun is made almost the smae way the 1911 line is made (just doesnt have the Rear Squeezer Safety) These guns arent "cheap" but as soon as held it I knew I had to have it.

Lately when I've been carrying it's either been my Colt Officers Model .45, Taurus .38 snubnose or a NAA .22. I think this would be the gun that I carry. I will continue to take my Colt .45 w/ me fishing becasue if I need the firepower it wil pack the punch, not to mention I dont have much $ in that gun, even thought it's worth more than my others.

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Fine looking pistol you got there, I would love to have one of those new 1911s made with the same spec's as the military had back in the day, have you saw them yet,

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Depends which ones your talking about. There are so many places making 1911 style guns. I think the nicest firing 1911 I've ever shot in a Remmington Rand 1911. Such a nice gun. Hard to imagine with all the technology we have the best handgun frame & action was designed almsot 100 years ago.

GLOCKS, HK's, etc..... KEPP THEM! Give me a Colt 1911A1 & I'll show you a handgun! (I really love Springfield Armorys 1911's too.)

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I really like Springfield Armory's 1911's. They have a nice compact as well. Although sometimes a compact doesnt fit the hand well.

David Frantz

5. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Springfield Armory made a reproduction of the 1911s that the Army had, If my memory serves me right it was year before last and it came packaged just like they were issued. I tried to find one on line and got caught up on the TV.

6. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    springfield makes a real good gun but i think about the best out there for a 1911 type is kimber.

7. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
  8. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Nice firearm. I carry a Colt Officer's also, however I DO have a lot of money in mine.

Attached Files:

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    JEEZ Bryan a Colt .45 to go fishing with because you need the firepower.;) I never realized they had fish that big in Ohio.Do you mount a baitcaster on it or would a spinning reel be more effective.Kind of hard to release them alive once you have firepowered them with a 45.I thought you were Jacks fishing partner not a bodyguard.:p I carried one for 24 years and could actually shoot it quite well.Significantly the D Boys can have what they want but carry 45s, customized for each shooter.I prefer the SIG in 357 SIG simply because it fits my smaller hands better.Can't go wrong with a Colt but I think the 380 is a little underpowered.

10. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Mellon, that is one fine lookin pistola you have there. As far as reproductions of war era 1911s Springfield does make nice ones but Colt in recent years has produced copies of their original military 1911 and 1911A1 both come in original style green boxes and wrapped in brown wax paper just like when they were originally issued to the military.

Dave

11. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I was told Colt had to stop producing guns. Something like, it was a stipulation in a law suit or something to that effect. Is that true or was smoke blown up my rear.

David Frantz

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In comparison of my two .45's (Colt Officers Model) vs Springfield 1911A1 (recently made) I am going to be forced to say that my Springfield shoots "better". There is nothing wrong w/ my Colt, I lov eit, but the full size Springfield shoots very well.

13. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Your right Dave it was colt, That made the one I was thinking about,I think it sold for around a grand, and I don't know if you can still find them or not but they were hot seller's

14. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Canepole, I still see them around in a few stores here in Ohio but they are going for a premium price.

Dave

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Canepole are you thinking about the 1911 gold cup by anychance.

Answered my on question there canepole after rereading the post closer.
    You know eyesight and small letters

Wasn't the orignal a colt 1911a that was produced for the military?

16. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bubbakat, the original pistol issued to the military was just designated Colt model of 1911.

Dave