New member needs advice!

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catrod, Jun 5, 2006.

1. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fishHigh Rock, Tuckertown, and Badin for everything that swims and have good success with exception to cat fishing. Need advice for each lake and what tatics work and best times. I love fishing just havent had much luck when it comes to cats. Thanks. Rod

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Cats can be hard to get to bite at times, first off your going to want to fish mostly at night, if you can fish from around 8:00 pm (right around sun down) to around 5:00 am (round sun up) thats when cats get the most active and feed the most, Depending on the size you want you need to take Hooks, line and sinkers into account, a 2/0 hook is probley the best overall unless your going for the huge ones, on the line front your going to want to use anywhere from 20-50# test, 20 is the best overall, on the weight front as long as you can feel the bottom you should do fine, use fresh caught bait, such as shad or bream and do your best to make sure its native to the area, ive never had any success with man made baits unless you make it your self(see the library for ideas on how to make your own bait) shirmp normaly works pretty good too, the biggest thing about cat fishing is not to cut corners anywhere, get a good rod a good reel, the best line you can and good hooks. hope this helps you out

3. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks Goulscout13 Ive tried the cat bait youcan buy that is in ball form and stinks bad with no results. Ivw tried shrimp but added garlic salt to it with no results also. I guess I need to just get off my lazy but and practice throwing my cast net for shad I already have a nice 30 gal. bait tank in my boat but never put anything in there but minnows. Any body got more for me? Thanks again!

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    catrod i think your results will improve greatly with fresh shad, herring,bream, and white bass over store bought baits. not saying store bought wont work but your better off using something native to the waters you are fishing i think. i say spend your money on cast nets over bait. there is plenty of shad in badin at the dam when they are pulling water and highrock has a lot of bait too. your best bet to finding some good action is just watch this board for a good report and get out there spent some time on the water. 30lb plus fish seem to be hiding right now. lot of good folks on here that will share information as they get to know you. good luck to you.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

I am sure some NC members will chime in for ya.

6. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This has got to be the best fishing forum I have ever looked at and I am glad to se that I am getting responses from all of you Thanks! My biggest problem is going out in the boat by myself and trying to do every thing myself. Had a friend that I used to go with but we hardly go anymore.

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC Rod! You will find tons of info here for sure.
    Read back through the NC threads and you will learn lots of things about those waters.

Oldtroll and I live just above Winston-Salem and fish High Rock mostly. I fished Badin quite a bit several years ago and want to start fishing it again.

Thus far we have always caught fresh shad on High Rock, sometimes it wouldn't be many but never got skunked on bait yet.
    Have seen some larger flats weighed in but haven't caught one myself yet. Hope to change that soon.

The ones we have seen weighed in have come from the area of Abbott's Creek to Flatswamp Creek to Dutchmen's Second Creek.

Good luck to you.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome aboard. you have now found the answer to catfishing questions.I feel for ya. Here in Indiana the cats are not showing upthis year as they usually do. But even if i can't catch them i am picking up a lot o useful information. good luck
    :0a23:

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Not from your area, just wanted to welcome you to BOC

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    First off welcome to the BOC!!!
    Right now the Big Cats are going to be tough to catch, as they are spawning or protecting their nests right now. So hang in there, it will happen for you soon.

11. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Rod,I am not from that area but as they said fish with natural baits from that area.Down here in Louisiana I use shad just about all the time.
    :big_smile:

12. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey Catrod, You will learn a lot from this site, Just look back at some of the post since the first of the year. One of the biggest tips that I can give you is, don't wait for warm weather to go after the big blues. Try Jan, Feb, and march next year. I'm not saying that you can't catch a good one in the warm water months, but you will catch more in the colder water. Good luck

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    "This has got to be the best fishing forum I have ever looked at and I am glad to se that I am getting responses from all of you Thanks! My biggest problem is going out in the boat by myself and trying to do every thing myself. Had a friend that I used to go with but we hardly go anymore." - catrod

How big of a boat do you have, maybe me and my Father in Law can go out with you some time on high rock, if your intrested, oh and im down by salisbury so if you fish around that area we could probley get together and fish some time

14. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    WELCOME ABOARD IF YOU NEED IT YOU CAN FIND IT ON THIS WEB SITE!

This time of year is very slow for the big ones...but you should be able to catch the small ones now.

Fresh cut bait... the oily (shad herring) the better but as was previously mentioned make sure the bait you use is typically found in the body of water you are fishing...that way cats don't have to "decide" wether they want it or not...

The most important thing you need is patience and above all have fun....

15. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey goulscout I never make plans to go fishing, its kinda spontainiuos thing I go when time at home and finances let me. I have a 17ft. Key West center console with a 90 hp Evenrude E-Tec motor, 84# 24 volt Motorguide trolling motor, and 30 gallon Keep Alive bait tank. This boat is perfect size for 2 people. I went from an 18ft Champion bass boat to this and love it.The champion wast highly modified and fast, but very high maintenance. I go to High Rock during the summer at night for 2 reasons. 1 traffic <idiots> n the water. 2 night fishing for crappie. Maybe we can get together later on. This also goes for every body else that likes to go to the local lakesHR,TT,Badin etc. I think it would be cool if we all could go out together for a night slam! Several boats going at once would be great.