new member needs advice

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ron.hawk, Apr 23, 2009.

1. ron.hawk

ron.hawk New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Going to santee tomorrow and will be staying at Harrys.any advice fishing for cats other than the canal.My son really likes it there.

2. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    You may want to try drifting if you are fishing during the day. Try the shallows at night. I will be on VHF 74 if I can help you out.

3. ron.hawk

ron.hawk New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks- I'm a rookie at Santee. When you say drifting do you mean in the canal. Do you think I would be better off staying somewhere else.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you follow the channel markers toward the dam from Harry's, the island on your left before you get to the dam, where the channel takes a left turn; go West and drift from the channel into the shallows on the west side of the island, and the island that is westward of that one. Even in the daytime it can be productive. The catfish will be in the shallows, but will often move to a little deeper (15-20') as the sun gets higher in the sky. Try to set up so the wind will carry you from deeper water to shallow, or vice versa. There should also be some current flowing through that area toward the Diversion Canal, what with the high levels and generating schedule. Good luck with the fishing! :smile2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great advice as usual, Tommy!!!!

Bill in SC

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Ron.

7. ron.hawk

ron.hawk New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the welcome!

8. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Ron.

9. SanteeCatHead

SanteeCatHead New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC. Hope you have a great trip, and save some for seed!!!!